Size difference of 8 reale coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rzage, May 19, 2022.

1. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Was wondering if the size of 8 reale coins minted in Mexico City could be different from coins minted in Potosi Bolivia ? I have around 6 8 reale Mexico City coins and one Potosi coin . The weight of the Mexico City coins is 26.96 g and the Potosi coin is 26.53 g . If laid on each other the potosi coin is about 1/64 “ longer . Thoughts ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I believe that all of these have a slight varence... just like cobs "pieces of 8" were cut for two reasons to stay within 27/28 g. Or cut to make change....due to lack of smaller coins

Mojavedave, Evan Saltis and rzage like this.
  4. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Although I don't have any measurements, or side-by-side photos at hand, I will say that after many years of collecting 8 reales, the ones minted in Potosi (Bolivia) are often noticeably wider in diameter. I think the weights are about the same as the Mexican and Peruvian 8 reales, but they are wider. I'm pretty hazy on how coins are minted, but I imagine it has something to do with the collar setting, or the mint machinery in general. Some of the earlier portrait types from Peru (Lima) also share this broad-flan look.

The very first 8 reales I ever bought, in 1987, is from Potosi (Bolivia). Photo below. Notice the area of weakness on the reverse by the right pillar/lower castle area; this is very common on the Potosi 8 reales I've seen - as if not enough metal was available to fill in all the details. The letter on these have a kind of spaced-out look too. After you've handled a few of these, you get kind of a "feel" for the difference. Or else I'm deluding myself - it wouldn't be the first time! :oops:

Bolivia - 1799 8 Reales Blackburn 1987 (0).jpg

6. rzage

Exactly what I thought . Since it’s struck in an open collar it would depend on how they set it and pressure used . I was wondering if the castaining machine , the machine that puts the edge design on , would have to be set a little wider too . But the weights are within tolerance on both the Mexico City and Potosi coins . Thanks for your answer Mike ! I also tested it for silver which it is . It was bought in the late ‘50s to ‘60s at Carson Pirie Scott back when they sold coins . So I imagine it was approved by their coin experts ! How expert they were I have no idea .

serafino and Marsyas Mike like this.
  7. rzage

Does anyone know the assayers initials on a 1792 Potosi coin ?

8. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

9. jgenn

Why do you believe a weight of 26.53 is within tolerance?

AussieCollector likes this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When you're talking about the Spanish colonial coins you have to pin things down by date to know how they were struck. Milled coinage did not begin until 1773 in Mexico City, the other mints changed at various times a bit later. Prior to 1773 the edge design was put on the coin by an edge die - the coin was physically rolled through the edge die. In and after 1773, that's when collars were used.

As for the weight and tolerances, you can read about that here -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/weight-range-for-spanish-8-reales.238204/#post-1810029

The diameter, yeah prior to milled coinage it was quite common for the diameter to vary slightly, or more than slightly, in different mints and within the same mint. But once milled coinage began the diameter became much more consistent. Maybe not exact all the time but much more consistent.

AussieCollector and serafino like this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Im just waiting on this one im actually thinking of having it graded. s-l1600-9.jpg s-l1600-10.jpg

12. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Depends on the period. Cobs (hammer struck) varied widely in terms of flan size and shape. Milled coinage, on the other hand, had some variation in flan size, but within narrow parameters.

A typically irregular 8 reales cob of 1626P, Potosi, Bolivia:

D-Camera Potosi 8 reales 1626 P philIV KM19A 26.52g sedwick 5-17 3-12-22.jpg

A "round" 8 reales cob, Potosi, Bolivia, 1746q:

D-Camera Potosi 8 reales 1746, Round, Freeman Craig, 6-16-20.jpg

A milled 8 reales, Potosi, Bolivia 1791PR, broad flan:

D-Camera Potosi 8 reales ChasIV 1791PR double lions pos Cuzco h KM73 3-14-22.jpg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  13. jgenn

I'm assuming that is a typo in your reference date of 1773 for the introduction of collared dies at Spanish colonial mints as I have many examples from 1773 to the end of colonial issues that show clear evidence of edging on a parallel edging and upsetting mill and not from a collared die. Bob Gurney mentions that this process, even after mechanization, continued until 1897.

AussieCollector and robinjojo like this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Fair enough, more of a memory lapse than a typo but thanks for the correction.

AussieCollector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted