Six Mysterious Romans

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bonedigger, May 29, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Team,

Here are a few Imperial Roman issues which have been soaking in olive oil for the past few months. These six are the nicest and to be quite honest I haven't even started trying to figure out which emperor/period they're from. I mean these baby's are fresh out of the oven...

And, I'm experimenting with a new camera. An HP PhotosmartM525v.

Take Care
    Bone

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

Atleast the left 4 are Constantine. I think the other two are also Constantine, but not 100% sure.
    The ones I soaked in olive oil look exactly like those that you have-same with the different types you have.

4. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

The middle top one is Constantine I, but the others might be Constantine, might be one of his kin or might be another rulers late roman bronze.

The reverses of the bottom three from left to right are 1) A Vota or 'Vows' coin, 2) A GLORIA EXERCITVS or 'The Glory of the Army' coin and 3) A FEL TEMP REPATRIO (Fallen Horseman Type) or 'good times are here again' coin

5. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

We need to sell all the obverses to understand the rulers.

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Well, here is the other side.

B

[​IMG]

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Sorry, for the giant photos. Still working on that :(

B

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Great looking coins Bone :thumb: :thumb: Thanks for sharing.

De Orc :D

9. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

lately I got a coin from one of the fellow collectors.. He told me that the coin belongs to Constantine II, sear 4003, Soldier Advancing - Fallen Horseman. period (AD 348-354). I dont know much about the Roman and Greek coins.. But the coin has won my heart... Please anyone let me know about this coin more..

10. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

I show Sear 4003 as Constantius II not Constantine II...
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear/s4003.html

I don't have Sear, so I don't know if he differentiates mints with his numbers or just coin type. The coins shown in the link above have mint marks (bottom of reverse), for Alexandria, Egypt.

Constantius ruled Thrace, Macedonia, Greece, Egypt, and Asia from 337 to 353 AD, then all the Roman Empire from 353 to 361 AD

11. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Nice job on the cleaning bone..I'm way too impatient and would probably have the old hammer and chisel out after two days.:hammer:

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

An interesting tid-bit from the WINS list. A very learned member added that the third coin on the top row might be a "Barbarian" copy...

<<"The third one likely says GLORIA ROMANORUM, though the G is a little funky. Irregular letters may mean contemporary copies, which can be interesting in their own right. If the portrait in particular looks a bit off, say more angular, that would also be an indication. I have one with a very pointy chin, plus has only I's for all of the letters - the "barbarians" just didn't get it quite right. ">>

The copies are obviously not as neat and precise in the inscriptions, etc. Just kinda neat to know :)

Take Care
    'BoneAn the Barbarian', LOL

13. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

It could be a Barb. If it is it's pretty good by bar standards. It could be official too though as after Constantine & kids roman bronzes started going down hill in quality.

14. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

You're lucky,my Barbarian copy looks like a lump of coal.I can't make heads or tails (pun intended) out of it.
    Fortunately it was free..in fact,the owner might have paid ME to take it off his hands.:D

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted