Single combat

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by eparch, Jan 14, 2020.

1. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

This was on my wants list for some time. The moneyer's ancestor, Marcus
    Servilius Pulex Geminus, Consul in 202 , was a famous fighter - he is on the
    right with M on his shield.
    A lively example of the celator's art.

upload_2020-1-14_8-48-9.png
    C. Servilius Vatia AR Denarius. Rome, 127 BC.

Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, lituus; before, star; below, ROMA

Battle on horseback between two warriors, the shield of horseman on right inscribed [M]; C•SERVEIL in exergue.

Crawford 264/1; BMCRR Rome 1166-7; RSC Servilia 6.

Please post your fighting scenes

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Beautiful example. I'm surprised the "M" was not worn off; but then again, the detail of the entire coin looks as if the coin did not circulate much if at all.

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

constantius.jpg

Well here's one that no one has seen before!!!

Cucumbor, octavius, Finn235 and 13 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great fight scene, @eparch !

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic
    42 BCE
    Moneyer: L Livineius Regulus (one of 4 Moneyers that year! A quattuorvirate)
    AR Denarius 3.7g, 19mm
    Obv: Bare head of the praetor L. Livineius Regulus right
    Rev: Gladiatorial scene; in foreground, one man attacks lion with spear; in back ground, second man with shield and sword attacks panther; on left, wounded boar; in exergue, L. REGVLVS
    Ref: Sear 489; Crawford 494/30; Syd. 1112
    Comment: bankers mark and scratch on obverse

[​IMG]
    RR AR denarius 3.8g 18.0mm T Didius Rome 113-112 BCE Roma star ROMA mono - Two Gladiators whip sword S 171 CR 294-1

6. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Great addition. Here is a type in my collection depicting combat.

[​IMG]

Q. Minucius M.f. Thermus. 103 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 4.02 g). Rome mint.

Obverse: Head of Mars left, wearing crested helmet ornamented with plume and annulet.

Reverse: Two warriors fighting, each armed with sword in right hand and shield in left; the one on the left protects a fallen comrade; the other wears horned helmet; Q•THERM•MF in exergue.

Reference: Crawford 319/1

"This coin records the brave deeds of the moneyer’s ancestor and namesake, Quintus Minucius Q. f. L. n. Thermus who was elected consul in 193 and assigned Liguria as his province. From his base in Pisa, he waged war against the Ligurians. His command was extended for the following year, during which time he defeated the Ligurian forces near Pisa. He remained as proconsul in Liguria for 191–190. During this time it appears that he may have won the distinction of the corona civica, the second highest military award to which a Roman could aspire, by saving the life of a fellow citizen in battle through slaying an enemy on a spot not further held by the enemy army that day - this act being depicted on the reverse.

He may also have been the same Thermus who served as military tribune under Scipio in North Africa in 202 BC. Appian relates that about this time there was a cavalry engagement between the forces of Hannibal and those of Scipio near Zama, in which the latter had the advantage. On the succeeding days they had sundry skirmishes until Scipio, learning that Hannibal was very short of supplies and was expecting a convoy, sent the military tribune, [Quintus Minucius] Thermus, by night to attack the supply train. Thermus took a position on the crest of a hill at a narrow pass, where he killed 4,000 Africans, took as many more prisoners, and brought the supplies to Scipio."

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Here's mine

SERVILLIA.jpg

82-80 BC C. Servilius Vatia Restoration

Laureate head of Apollo right; lituus and B behind, mark of value below chin (XVI monogram)

Battle between two mounted horsemen, the one on the left armed with a sword, the other with spear, his shield inscribed M
    C SERVEIL

Restored Issue 82-80 BC.
    Original being of C. Servilius 127 BC

3.48g

Crawford 370/1b; Sydenham 720; Servilia 7
    Scarce

This is the Wildwinds example!

David Sear's Millennial addition comments:

"This type represents a remarkable revival of the issues of the monetary triumvirate which had held office approximately 45 years earlier though with the substitution of Apollo for the Roma head on the obverse. As well as being complimentary to several of Sulla's most prominent supporters Crawford suggests that their true purpose was to enable Sulla to issue a civil coinage without appointing a new triumvirate of moneyers for 82 BC or, alternatively, to celebrate the restoration of the Republic in 80."

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great coin! The engraving of the horseman on the left is superb and the whole scene really creates a sense of action.

My favourite fight scene (because of the sense of action) is on the T. Didius denarius that @Alegandron showed. Just last month I got my own example in a trade with @dougsmit:

tdidius from doug.jpg

9. Alegandron

Great example, well done!

eparch and Severus Alexander like this.
  10. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

uncertianCaracalla5.jpg
    Achaea. Uncertain mint. Caracalla AE22.
    Caracalla AE22, 5.4gm.
    Obv: [.....TONI....]. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of youthful Caracalla to right.
    Rev: T..EATWN. Soldier holding shield in l. and short sword in his r. advancing on soldier falling to his knees with shield raised behind.
    Possible Arcadia, Tegea.

Cucumbor, Orielensis, eparch and 5 others like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Minucius Thermus Mf.jpg
    MINUCIUS THERMUS MF ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS MINUCIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Helmeted head of Mars left
    REVERSE: Q*TERM*MF below two warriors in combat, one on left protecting a fallen man
    Struck at Rome, 103BC
    3.5g, 19mm
    Syd 592, Cr319/1

12. Alegandron

I almost forgot I had this little devil...

THERMUS

[​IMG]
    RR Minicuis Thermus 103 BCE AR Den Mars 2 Warriors fighting fallen S 197 Cr 319-1

13. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

1. Sestertius of Trajan with emperor spearing Dacian.
    2. RR denarius of Titus Didius with two ? gladiators or warriors on reverse.
    3. RR denarius of Aulus Licinius Nerva with reverse of his ancestor dragging enemy by hair.
    4. Sestertius of Domitian with reverse of emperor attacking fallen German with a whip.
    5. First century Roman oil lamp with two boxers ( pugiles).

8t2ReNM5Ya68c9zE7XwaNix2o4TyXF.jpg S 680834.jpg REk8j2rX4LYds5aMPQ9boKJ7Gq6Mn3.jpg m46094.jpg qm6Da9JctAx452Qr3NzjRF8a6iZ75B.jpg

14. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

@octavius : I love your Titus Didius - another for my wants list !
    I think they are probably gladiators - the Romans loved combats
    between differently weaponed and armoured gladiators.

octavius likes this.
  15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow ! some beautiful reverses all around

I do have a fighting scene to show, but the oponent is either not yet there or has already run away.... :)

[​IMG]
    Dombes, Jean II de Bourbon (1456-1488) - Franc à cheval, or - sans date
    Atelier de Trévoux
    +IONES*DVX*BORBONII*TREVOBCII׃:DNS. Buste cuirassé du Prince à gauche, portant le collier de l'ordre de St Michel.
    DEXTER A*D NI.*EXAL TAVIT*MEA Le Prince casqué et cuirassé à cheval, brandissant une épée et passant à droite. La housse est semée de lis, accompagnée de la brisure (les armes de la maison de Bourbon).
    3,44g - 22 mm
    Ref : Divo Dombes # 1 (5 exemplaires décrits), Mantellier -, Poey d’Avant -, Caron # 544, Friedberg # 119

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted