Silvered Gallienus Antoninianus with Neptune.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Mar 5, 2021.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I actually received this coin last month, I've wanted a silvered antoninianus for a while and got this for just 20$. I love the shiny silvering, almost mirror-like at certain angles! It's also my first coin with Neptune. Definitely one of my top 10 for this year.
    Antioch, 267 CE.
    3.9g.
    Gallienus.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very nice. You might be interested in some recent threads we've had about Gallienus' coins of Antioch here and here.

JayAg47 likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Man, I always love seeing these ants in all their silvered glory. I don't have very many, as the wash seems to have been pretty weak.

Claudius II RIC Antioch 212 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I have one silvered Gallienus antoninianus from Antioch, and it does still have pretty good silvering left:

Gallienus, Billon Antoninianus, 264-265 AD, Antioch Mint, 11th emission (Göbl).* Obv. Radiate head left, GALLIENVS AVG / Rev. Lion walking left, bucranium [bull’s head] in front of paws, P M TRP XIII; in exergue, CVIPP [CVI = COS VI], palm branch left below. RIC V-1 602 var. obv. [bust draped & cuirassed] & rev. [lion radiate]; RSC IV 847 var. rev. [lion radiate]; Sear RCV III 10327 var. rev. [lion radiate]; Göbl MIR [Moneta Imperii Romani] Band 36, No. 1622 [see http://www258.pair.com/denarius/coinage.htm, Coinage of Gallienus and Family, with Göbl numbers, descriptions, & images for Gallienus coins]. 21 mm., 4.05 g., 12 h.**

Gallienus L - Lion L - Antioch 265 AD jpg version.jpg

*See Euston, Charles, Gallienus to Antioch ? A new PROFECTIO type of antoninianus from the mint at Antioch, A.D. 264, in Bulletin du cercle d’études numismatiques [BCEN] 52/2 (2015), at p. 2: “Göbl’s 11th emission begins with another lion reverse; lion (not radiate), left with a bull’s head between its paws (MIR 1622). This reverse is also dated, but to Gallienus’ 13th tribunician power (TRP XIII). Interestingly, this type straddles both the 12th and the 11th emissions as it exists both with and without the palm frond as exergual marker. This mark in the exergue is, in fact, the primary indicator of the 11th emission.”

**See Manders, Erika (2012), Coining Images of Power: Patterns in the Representation of Roman Emperors on Imperial Coinage, A.D. 193–284. Impact of Empire (Roman Empire, c. 200 B.C.–A.D. 476), at pp. 296-297 [portions available on Google Books], stating that “[f]our coin types [of Gallienus] [NB: in fact, there were more than four] bear a legend consisting of standard imperial titalature and show a lion with a bull’s head between his paws or a radiate lion (sometimes with a bull’s head between his paws. . . . These types might refer to the victories of Odaenathus [of Palmyra], Rome’s ally, gained over the Persians, probably in 262-263 and 267. This hypothesis is strengthened by the thirteenth Sybilline Oracle’s description of the Persians as ‘venom spitting beasts’ who have been destroyed by Odaenathus, the ‘sun-sent, dreadful, fearful lion, breathing much fire.’” Other authorities have expressed skepticism regarding this interpretation. See, e.g., Woods, David (2018). "From Caracalla to Carausius: The Radiate Lion with Thunderbolt in its Jaws". British Numismatic Journal. British Numismatic Society.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

JayAg47 and DonnaML like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Fine find Jay

Here's a Gallienus with seemingly a reasonable silver content

0440-220.jpg
    Cologne mint, AD 257-258
    GALLIENVS PF AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust of Gallienus, seen from front
    VIRTVS AVGG, Virtus, standing right, holding spear and standard
    3,93 gr
    Ref : RCV #10413, Cohen #1309, Göbl # 8821

Q

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Nice! I have a VERY high silver content Gallienus as well. It feels and sounds like solid silver, has that “ping.”
    5825AB9B-6286-4C4C-BA96-5AE711922C04.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted