Silvered and Rare

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Oct 21, 2016.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

After acquiring this bronze coin of Constantine the Great, I found out that it is silvered and rated R2 (very rare). It has Jupiter on reverse with K to left field and wreath over B over X to right field. Was this coin officially silvered and for what purpose. Is it still wise to acquire more LRBs? The coin was struck in Alexandria. RIC VII- 13 Const O Ale   Silvered.JPG Const R Jup.JPG

Smojo, Theodosius, Okidoki and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Coins of the period that were silvered probably fooled no one into thinking they were silver but did serve to indicate that the alloy used for the coin contained silver. My this time the percentage may have declined to one or two but it was there lurking in all that copper. I do not have an example from Alexandria of that day that shows silvering remaining but I suspect someone does.

Is it wise? If you mean do I recommend buying coins like that as an investment--certainly not. I don't recommend buying any ancient coin as an investment. For that purpose, we have firms like Fidelity and Vanguard (and a few like Bernie Madoff?) who intend to guide you toward financial security (or not). Coins are for collecting and study. You may make more money when you exit than to put in when you entered but there is no certain reason to expect them to keep up with inflation let alone offset the expenses you incurred (books, travel, slab fees). It is not the place to put the money you need to buy food or send the kids to college. Buy coins because you enjoy them and feel better for the experience. If you choose, become a dealer and buy coins that don't interest you but that you are sure you can sell for a profit. The coin you showed in the condition it is in will never be worth more than what we might call the nuisance value of handling a coin. Postage is more than many LRB's are worth. RIC rarity ratings add little or nothing to market value with many more people wanting a nice common than an R5 with no eye appeal.

Is it wise? If you mean are these interesting coins for study and to enjoy -- I say yes. LRB's don't cost a lot for what they return in interesting links to history. I have quite a few and know people with thousands. If you don't have the money to really study something like Greek tetradrachms, LRB's are a viable option.

Ajax, Smojo, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My Cyzicus blow shows retained silver. It is as close as I have to your coin with silver. There are many, many variations like the Alexandria below and yours that probably had silver once but I can not prove it today. rx5048bb2687.jpg rx5160bb2118.jpg

Ajax, Pellinore, Smojo and 8 others like this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

7Charles => I'm quite surprised that you're just discovering that these coins were "silvered" ... dude, I've seen countless examples of these silvered coins from your posts (oh, and how's that new camera treatin' ya, my coin-friend?)

:rolleyes:

Here are a couple of his
    "silvered" kids ...

=> Constantine-II & Constantius-II

constantine II rocks.jpg constantius II rocks.jpg

... coins are fun, eh?

Pellinore, Smojo, Deacon Ray and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted