Silver

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Andy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

I was wondering what is your favorite silver world or ancient coin and why.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sylvester

sylvester New Member

I'll ignore my Stephen penny that's my favourite for it's history not for it's design.

My two faves for design (and i own these are), either...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Charles II Sixpence.

OR;

[​IMG] [​IMG]

William III & Mary II Sixpence.

4. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Why i like them, well;

1) They are milled sixpences
    2) They are siver
    3) They are my fave coin size (about the size of a nickel)
    4) They're 17th century
    5) They're mid-high graders
    6) They have monarchs on the obverse and not just one shield (BUT 4!!!) on the reverse.

5. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Sylvester:I love your coins but with the second which one is Mary, lol:). On a more serious note, I too have a thing for shields on coins. I feel that it adds more history and tells more of the story of the coin, the time, the place, the politics and the person on it. Nice coins with great detail and thanks for sharing them. Could you post your Stephen coin and tell something about it's history?

6. jody526

jody526 New Member

This has always been one of my favorite designs.

Absolutely beautiful, and IMO, far superior to similar US designs. ;)

[​IMG]

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG]

I heartily agree. :cool:

I'm one of those subscribing to the theory that A.A. Weinman was inspired by Marianne, the Sower, when he designed the Walking Liberty half dollar. :)

8. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

This is not one that I own.

Below is a link to a PDF download of about 40 pages. This is the "Exhibit Catalog" for the AETNA TETRADRACHM currently on display at the Israel Museum. The coin is on loan from the National Library of Belgium. Unlike the Signed Syracuse coins (all stunning, of course), this one is unique.

http://www.imj.org.il/images/exhibitions/2004/grid_b20.pdf

9. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

It is difficult to single out one `favourite' when you have as broad a collecting interest as I have. :(

Choices from ancient greek coins; mediaeval europe (lowlands and France); renaissance europe; the modern world....a favourite the man asks!!

OK if the chips were down it would have to be this one because it's the best example of a nice large silver coin from my own country that I have come across in the flesh. Sure, there are better out there, but this is the one I have.

Attached Files:

10. sylvester

sylvester New Member

As requested...

Not much to look at artistically, this is a particularly nice specimen (don't laugh! people not familiar with the series would think it pretty poor, but actually it's quite a mid grade specimen), flat patches predominate. Although there are some beautifully struck ones out there they are rare, very very rare.

This one is a Watford type, which is the most common type. But it's Shaftesbury mint which is a rare mint. Struck around 1136-1145ish. Probably in the early 40s. No way to tell for sure though.

Stephen (a nice guy by all accounts) had usurped the throne from his cousin, Matilda (a woman with a ferocious temper, and extreme stubborness) who was the rightful heir and thus a period of civil war and anarchy ensured that would envelop much of the country till 1153 a year before the king's death.

P.S the king is looking right, not forwards, but can you find him?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Ah Ha! I believe so.....

Attached Files:

12. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Got it! Some people don't see it. And then when it's pointed out to them they can not remember what they did think they could see the first time around!

It happened to me too... i mean it's so obvious now, but when i first saw it... :D

Stujoe said the same...

13. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Sylvester, thanks for the peek. But I think I need to hold it to grasp the beauty of it all. How about a mail posting,lol :)

Ian, I like that you used a hue of purple for your outline of Sly's coin, very clever to use the color of kings and was your coin minted by a Scotish King? Also how did you come across it?

14. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

It was minted during the reign of James VI of Scotland (the son of Mary Queen of Scots).

If you look closely at the obverse you will see fairly prominently a crowned thistle counterstamp. In 1578 the value of silver on world markets had risen well beyond the notional value of the coins. This led to all circulating silver coinage being recalled and counterstamped, the net effect on my coin being that its value (originally thirty shillings) was raised to thirty six shillings and eight pence.

As to where I got my coin? From a local jeweller's shop. Someone short of cash had sold it to him and he in turn sold it on to me.

Ian

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This is my favorite world silver design. 'Course you guys already knew that :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I became enamoured of these coins when I found my first example while diving on the wreck of a Spanish galleon as a young man. Of course it didn't hurt that I was the one who found the wreck either ;)

16. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

GD, You seem to have alot of ocean "dip" coins in your collection. Actually it seems as if you have lived the coin collector's dream of actually finding a lost coin(s) from the past. Your diving feats are petty impressive to this person who lives near the beach but who doesn't really swim that well.

Ian: That is a pretty interesting footnote on the coin. Between you, Sly and G-d, I feel as if I'm getting a tour in a museum. You seem to have a nice little store in your town. I believe you mentioned it before with Napoleon coins "fly off the shelves as soon as he gets them" nearly a year ago.

Jody/Roy the french francs that have the women sowing the fields by hands are pretty and I am still trying to figure out if she is wearing a see thru dress. My coin may be a little worn, prying fingers?, so I guess I try to get a better view off the internet.

17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Why thanks Andy ;)

Here - see if you can tell with this pic :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or maybe you can see this one better ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

I definitely see knee with the first one and I leave it at that since this is a family website:) Funny how the first one always leaves an impression.

19. jody526

jody526 New Member

There have been some great silver coins posted, so far. Some good history lessons, too. :cool:

At the risk of upsetting Andy, I would also like to post an image of this lovely lady. ;)

[​IMG]

20. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Well lets see. If that upsets Andy, this one will probably get his glasses really steamed up. Although not a coin, it's a silver jeton of the old French Maritime Insurance Company `La Prevoyance'.

[​IMG]

....and another one for luck (a real favourite of mine). It's a Swiss Shooting medal from Glarus

[​IMG]

21. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Ok guys the truth comes out why all of you really collect coins. I do not want to hear anything else about Lord so and so and this shipwreck or that is really this type of thing. It is appearent that is all a smoke screen for what is now seen. Now I am wondering what the term "Hammered Coin" really means.
    Oh by the way, I am going to look at Ian's Swiss shooting medal a couple more times, since I believe in the right to bear arms and looking at bare legs, and then I will share my passion for coins with my wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted