Silver Wheat Cent - 1957-D ??

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Orange Gold, Jul 21, 2010.

1. panda

panda Junior Member

i am not saying its made of nickel or nickel plated, but nickel can be real shiny. look at a new canadian quarter. i got one in change the other day and had to look up and see if they had proofs and if this could be one. the fields were so shiny, they were mirror like.

i never asked a jeweler to weigh anything, you think they will have a problem?

and if you can tell its not silver, wouldn't that rule a '57 dime out? seeing is how they were silver?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Gold

Orange Gold Junior Member

exactly why I said.. "hmmm"

4. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Where are the pics you said you would post?

5. Orange Gold

Here, sorry I just woke up.
    IMG_0136.jpg IMG_0139.jpg IMG_0137.jpg

6. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

7. Orange Gold

It's not silver because of that magnetism.. unless it is plated in something magnetic and then re-plated in silver.
    I still like the idea of a 1943 steel planchet that got lost somewhere in the machinery finally fell back into the conveyer belt and got stamped hehe :D
    But I doubt that.

8. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Very slim that happened.

9. Orange Gold

hehe :p If it did, how much do you think the coin would be worth?

10. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

If it could be authenticated as a genuine steel planchet, and the only known specimen, 5 or 6 figure value.

11. Jon4485

Jon4485 Junior Member

you haven't just taken the coin to a dealer yet?

and is that a big die crack in the pic or just a scratch on the reverse?

12. Orange Gold

It's a scratch.. the photo brings it out alot, it's not as visible on the real coin... which raises more questions.. if it was plated then the scratch would have removed the pl.... nvm it could have been plated after the scratch.

13. S7coinz

S7coinz New Member

I have one just like it, kept it all these years, thinking it was something special. I came across it when I was a cashier.

14. Steve61

Steve61 Member

15. Steve61

Steve61 Member

16. Brian Neumann

Brian Neumann New Member

I have the same coin. That's odd. 1957 d chrome plated. I think , what's up with that ?

17. HOWARD GOTKIN

HOWARD GOTKIN Member

Looks like someone was having some fun and dipped it.

18. Garythegreatcoin

Garythegreatcoin New Member

Hey I just found that my friend had one two so why 1957 I think it's steel coaref because a magnet can't pick it up but shows sings of catch

19. Skip Dougherty

Skip Dougherty New Member

Has anyone found more information on these particular coins? I would like to know more about them.

20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Not much to know; plating Cents was part of the curriculum in Science class in those days.

21. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Back when I was a kid, one of the favorite things for other kids to do was to rub mercury on a cent, and that's the way this coin looks. Of course, people didn't know how dangerous mercury was at the time--most people, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted