Silver state quarter?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Oz401, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

Found this quarter, sounds different than rest, can not find info about why it's colored as is. I have 2 of them scraped edges of one doesn't change color. Are there silver state quarters? Or a reason there's a few that don't show any copper etc?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

DO NOT SCRAPE VALUABLE COINS. Weigh them. The proper weights for a clad and silver planchet are easy to find and that's a definitive test.

Yes, there are state quarters minted in silver as part of the silver proof sets.

Somebody could have broken those out and spent the coins.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

Usually proof mints are "S" aren't they?

spirityoda likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When the SQ program started in 1999, it didn't take long for the TV hucksters to figure out that they could make more money by creating "collectible" sets by dipping some of the crummy uncirculated coins in a very, very, very thin layer of platinum or gold.

Silver Proof SQ's were struck in San Francisco, not Philadelphia.

Chris

tommyc03 and Santinidollar like this.
  6. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

As I'd stated, 2 coins different years different states bout cut one in half lmao no color difference... as I'd thought someone tampered with them.

7. Any silver statehood quarters should have the S mintmark, as the silver proof coins were only minted in San Fran.
    Back in '99, when the state quarter program started, I lived in South Jersey, across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. At that time, I kept every state quarter I found (something I got over in a year or two).
    When I was divesting myself of my accumulation of state quarters, I came across a Delaware, with P mintmark, that I had saved without noticing that there was no copper showing on the edge.
    By comparing it with both a clad quarter and a silver one, it is obviously not silver due to the color being identical to the clad. Silver is more white in color. Weight is slightly lighter than the clad.
    The edge reeding lines up correctly with other quarters, but appears to be slightly flat (the reeds are wider than on other quarters). Perhaps caused by a slightly undersized planchet that didn't fill the die area completely?
    I'm thinking that perhaps mine was stamped out from the end of a roll of clad material that didn't contain a copper center layer (but it seems like it would then be grossly underweight).
    A local coin dealer friend suggested that I submit it to one of the grading companies to find out what it might be. But, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble or expense.
    I don't know if this might help explain what you might have, but at least we both know that such things do exist out there.....

Oz401 likes this.
  8. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I have a silver state Q. it is worth 25 dollars

9. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

I have a vending company that only uses quarters. It sounds different for sure, pretty close to the silver quarters in color but is a ltitle off. Here's a picture of 2 silver quarters (a 64 & a 47) and the 03 state quarter. Middle is state quarter

Attached Files:

10. cpm9ball

May we see photos of both sides? Why do you think it is worth $25?

Chris

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Dipped in platinum.

12. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

Would that explain the lack of color inside when I put my grinder to it?
    I'm figuring it's missing the copper somehow I don't know it matches up well in color with other silver quarters but still has a steel/nickel look also to me. Trying to figure out to know if i should spend it or save it hahaha

13. Pickin and Grinin

Where's the Pic.
    It useless if you cut it in Half.

14. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

I have 2 the other is a 2001(at home cut almost in half)this one I found a few days ago been carrying around trying to figure out.

15. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

Also thought the original one I'd found WAS useless as some type of fake.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Not a fake, just dipped for over eager buyers on HSN.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That sounds possible.

18. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

Is that same for non 1943 silver colored pennies also? They look like they were only coated in copper at some point in time if that, the shield penny had copper stuck to it where I separated if from another penny in a parking lot.

Attached Files:

19. cpm9ball

Ordinarily, I'd accuse you of hijacking this thread, but it's your thread.

Chris

20. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

since you took a grinder to it, spend it, it's worthless

21. Oz401

Oz401 New Member

Took the grinder to 1 of 2

Draft saved Draft deleted