SILVER SIXPENCE TOKEN -BILSTON 1811

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by wyvern, Apr 18, 2015.

1. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

19th century tokens never seem as popular as 18th century--I think that they have something to offer----bilston Staffordshire silver sixpence-castle with lions--payable by rushbury and wooley ---they were bankers ,the bank failed 1815---wooley survived financially having got out of the partnership

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That's a great looking token, wyvern. I love the value they assign to it... 1 Pound for forty tokens. Do you know the purpose of it? An advertising piece, maybe.?

Bruce

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

There was a drastic shortage of small-denomination coinage in this period. Everybody and his brother put out tokens, some indeed in silver. George III was petitioned repeatedly to boost mint production.

BRandM and wyvern like this.
  5. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

there was famine between 1809 and 1813 which accelerated the move of people from the land to the cities to work in factories.this made the demand for coinage to rise-farm workers being paid in food and free housing-the mint could not keep pace with the demand so small local banks issued silver tokens to help trade.

BRandM likes this.
  6. Daniel Pinheiro

Daniel Pinheiro New Member

Wow .... what an amazing coin ! I'm a fan of these coins/token that were made in such difficult times, to fill the gap left by the absence of official small change . Much history to tell !

wyvern likes this.
  7. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I like these kinds of pieces too. Nice design, a cool story, probably not too many made or saved and not too expensive. That's a great combination and just the sort of thing I like. Congrats on a cool token.

Jim

8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Very nice example of the Davis-3(Dalton-3) Staffordshire token. Rushbury and Woolley also issued two different varieties of silver shilling tokens that look very similar to this one. The shilling designated as Davis-1 is the scarce one of the three issues.

wyvern likes this.
  9. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

thanks for all your replies--great--this is a silver shilling of Yarmouth-Norfolk---f r Reynolds -Norfolk token for xii pence 1811-----f r Reynolds brewer and merchant-

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted