Silver Rolls?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Traci, May 14, 2021.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Silver is the most reflective element and this is a quick and dirty silver test.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Traci

Traci Active Member

So it would show through brighter? Or just make a mark in the paper like cleaning silver jewelry? Sorry just trying to understand! Seems like a great test.

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

@Kentucky is dead on the mark… I didn’t believe it either and had to experiment myself. You absolutely can distinguish silver from other coin compositions under a single ply piece of tissue…… The set I took a photo of is at my office and I hope to not see that place until Monday, but I will absolutely lay a piece of tissue over the row and take a photo.

CoinJockey73, Traci and Kentucky like this.
  5. Kentucky

I look forward to seeing it!

6. Traci

Traci Active Member

That would be awesome thank you!

Kentucky and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

4105DF77-7A8B-4A47-9261-1DB66CC27B6C.jpeg @Traci. Here is a sliver Kennedy half and a non silver Kennedy under a 1 ply piece of tissue. Silver on the left.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  8. Beardigger

I think the "silver state quarters" you see are referring to Nevada State Quarters. You would not find a whole roll of "silver" quarters in a Machine rolled roll from a bank. I do have a roll of IOWA Silver Proofs, but it is in a tube and bought from somebody that put it together from busting up mint sets. Any silver statehood quarter would have an S mint mark. Only Quarters 1964 and before would carry a P or D mint mark and be silver.

Traci likes this.
  9. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

I have to ask, single ply tissue? Like a tissue that I'd use to dab my tears with? Or a piece of crepe paper?

10. CoinJockey73

What kind of paper is that? Doesn't look like a kleenex, lol.

11. Beardigger

Like the cheap toilet paper you had to buy during the great toilet paper crisis of 2020! LOL
    That's where mine came from !

12. Beardigger

Hard on the Butt, but I'm set for life for silver detecting!

13. CoinJockey73

Single ply Scott toilet tissue?!

14. Traci

Traci Active Member

Oh wow! That is an amazing difference! Thank you for posting this! What a great way of telling the difference if you’re not sure. I have some silver ingots I can try it with myself compared to non silver quarters. Thank you!!!

15. CoinJockey73

And you shine a bright light on it?

16. Beardigger

Nope. Easy to see in normal lighting.

and YES! scott single ply TP

17. CoinJockey73

This is an incredible revelation. I am very excited to try this. Thank you so much

18. Beardigger

silver content has a lot to do with how well this works. Top row is all non silver. Bottom row is 90% quarter. War nickel 30% Kennedy 40% and far right Kennedy 90%. All under just my regular dining room light. The higher the silver content the more obvious it will be.
    DA20AF44-A8AC-451F-8460-F066885B1B57.jpeg

19. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Sometimes you read something on CoinTalk and it's very interesting but kind of hard to remember (like the term Blakesley Effect). But sometimes you read or see something just once on CoinTalk, and it's impossible to forget - like the one-ply tissue trick mentioned (and shown). Thanks for the show-and-tell! Unforgettable.

20. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

What about distinguishing between silver plated and solid silver?

21. Kentucky

I would guess since it's a surface phenomenon, 100% plating would show up the same as 100% solid silver.

JeffC and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted