Silver quarter in pocket change

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Apr 13, 2015.

1. I just found my first ever silver quarter in pocket change today. :woot: I almost didn't pay cash at a gas station/convenience store but glad I did. :) Have you found a silver quarter in your pocket change say in the last 25 years? TC
    20150413_113534047.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I haven't found one in change, but did swap a clad one for silver with a co-worker who "couldn't get this darn coin to work in the vending machine". I believe it was a 1936, which is extra nice.

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

What's the reverse look like? ;)

5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Never. You're one ahead of me.

6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I found one back in high school when I was selling bakery items.

7. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I found a 1940 one in 2013.

8. After the date and the edge, the reverse was the third thing I checked. No type B. I'm not that lucky...lol. TC

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

yes and a dime

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I went to a convenience store about two years ago. I ordered a corn dog and paid for it right there. As the lady was giving me my change, I heard that beautiful sound. I checked and sure enough, there was a silver quarter. I then asked if I could get $2.00 in quarters, I got a total of 3 silver quarters. She did not have any more quarters to spare. I can only imagine how many were in the roll that she had opened to fill her till. I was pretty happy none the less.

dwhiz likes this.
  11. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I got a 1963D in change at a Pizza Hut a couple of months ago.

12. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Got a 1941 quarter in change from McDonald's 2 weeks ago.

13. cooper

cooper Active Member

I got a couple a few months or so back. Don't know exactly where I got them from. Must have reading glasses to see dates so I pay with a bill and check change when I get time. Found a 1955 and 1953 quarter some place. Nice surprise at the end of day.

14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

No silver lately, but I did find an 1887 cent in my pocket change about a month ago. Since about the only time I ever look at my pocket change is when I'm counting it out to spend it I have no idea how long I had been carrying it around.

15. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Mcdonalds was the venue I recieved my latest silver quarter from as well;about 3 months ago! I didnt even have to check the date(ofcourse i did) because it looks so much lighter in color AND odd compared to the other 2... Ive gotten a couple war nickels and '38 '39 nickels in the last 6 months also! Yes we all do a lil jig and get aroused when we find these but on the flip side of the coin i always wonder what poor guy was hard up for a pack'o'smokes or worse who was stealing from grandpas sock drawer stash to put these in my hand. Sad but true

16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

What ARE THE ODDS???? I just found a 1964d silver dime on the coin star counter in front of the screen in a pile of pennys they all had gunk on them kinda hard to see but i was doing the hokey pokey after i flipped the dime over to see what it was!!! I was the last person to post in this thread too!!!!

17. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I got one twice at my in-laws house this past year. They save their change, I go through it.

18. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I have (2) stories to tell:

1) When I first got the "bug bite" I would go to every car wash in my city and go to the change machine and get tons and tons of quarters. I NEVER found anything. Then one day I said to myself no more trying. The very next day I went to actually wash my car and I put $5.00 in the machine and out popped $1.75 in silver quarters. I stood there for so long that the guy behind asked if I was ok. I put in a $10 and got .50 more and then I had to go. That was a sweet day.

2) When I traveled from my home town to visit my father who lives in another state I would take the back roads. I did this because I had gotten tired of taking the dull and boring interstates. Well, on the way I would go into small town with maybe a population of 15K or less. In these towns I found several banks. Remember these towns where in the middle of BFE. I walked into and asked for $100 worth of Halves.

The lady looked at me and said, “Finally, someone who will take these good for these good for nothing coins, nobody ever wants them". I crossed my fingers and she brought out a bag of MINT rolls of Kennedy's and Franklin's. In total out of the $100 I got about $47.75 in silver. I walked away from that bank so overjoyed. I felt like I was robbing them. I kept going back for about 5 or so months and every single time I got some silver. It all came to an end when the bank manager got suspicious and I told him what I was doing was perfectly legal.

He knew something was up and after that day...when I went back they always told me that they were out.
    I sighed and smiled real big...left and laughed so loud I think the bank manager heard me. I hope that I run into another town, with another such bank and get that kind of luck at least once more in my lifetime. I hope you enjoyed my story. Thank you and enjoy what remains of your day. :playful:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted