Silver proofs - Am. the Beautiful

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LewR, Jun 13, 2010.

1. LewR

LewR Junior Member

Happy with the set - silver always looks the best in proofs - but the "Blob" next to the monument at Hot Springs looks like - duh - a blob, no detail. What a shame...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You talkin' about the park service emblem Lew? Don't look blobby to me.....

4. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

5. LewR

LewR Junior Member

thought it was a manf error...lol

oh well

Attached Files:

6. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

No detail ...hahahaha that a good one.
    It's only about 3 millimeters ...talk about the the lack of the detail in Old faithful's gyser spray more than a tiny park service emblem.

7. The proof set looks pretty good actually. I am looking forward to getting mine, but I will be waiting for the full proof set, not just the quarters.

8. LewR

LewR Junior Member

I should clean my scanner glass...LOL

9. Info Sponge

I wonder if more detail will show up on the 3-inchers. The law does say they're supposed to be "exact" duplicates, which might rule out using a different master (not master die, whatever you call the original that's used for making the master hub ("original"? "Galvano"?))

10. LewR

LewR Junior Member

The blob is just plain ugly and makes the coin look cheap - especially when a proof coin should be able to have finer detail and better impressions.

Maybe they are now made in China? Nothing would surprise me nowadays...

11. Info Sponge

I'm not a graphic artist, but it seems to me like there's enough room in the field to put something the size of the eagle on a Franklin, which would be enough room to redeem it from blobbiness, and break up the excessively formal symmetry of the building and fountain.

Draft saved Draft deleted