Silver Proof Set vs Proof Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jwa_jwa_jwa, Jan 14, 2010.

1. grizz

grizz numismatist

....i guess i was just showing my bias toward the bay. to each their own.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I share your opinion, Grizz. I would also much rather buy from a dealer than eBay, I just didn't want to discourage newbs from learning how to tell for themselves

4. grizz

grizz numismatist

.....understood.

5. noel877

noel877 New Member

I'm in a similar situation with the OP but the set I bought is for 2008.

I weighed the 2008 silver state quarters with lens and it registered 76.6 grams. (The 2008 set only had 5 quarters)

Does that sound about right? Anyone has a 2008 silver set they can weigh?

6. noel877

noel877 New Member

As luck would have it, the 2010 silver proof set I ordered directly from the mint came after I posted.

I opened it up and the quarters' finish and lens looks exactly like the 2008 I bought on ebay. Since the 2010 also has only 5 quarters, I weighed it and it registered 76.7 grams.

So I'm now confident that the set I bought on ebay is real. Thanks for the tip on weighing.

A bit off topic. The lens insert on the 2010 is a bit different than the older ones. I could actually see the edges of the quarters on this 2010 set. This would be another way to see if the quarters are silver or not. I hope they continue making the lens insert this way.

7. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I just got a 2009 Silver set, which has those edge-view-type lenses on the dollar coins so the edge lettering is visible. That would be good for the quarters too, it would be nice to be able to see the solid silver reeding on the edge :cool:
    ( Do I have to buy a 2010 set now? )

8. noel877

noel877 New Member

You know you do. ;)

And I have to buy the 2009 set as well. I'm gonna go broke with this hobby. lol

9. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Yeah, but if you can save money on auctions, then it's good to know other ways of spotting the differences to not get ripped off.

For myself, I can see the color difference between clad and silver.

10. DM1

DM1 Active Member

Yes, we might go broke, but at least we'll have some money:D

11. Hawkwing74

Hawkwing74 Member

This worked for me, thanks. I had 2 coins I wasn't sure about.

12. VetStudent

VetStudent Junior Member

Really useful post, thanks for the heads up (especially seeing how I am fixing to buy the 1999-2009 silver proof set).

13. James B West

James B West New Member

how can you tell the difference between proof coins and silver proof coins?

14. James B West

James B West New Member

how can you tell the difference between proof coins and silver proof coins

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well if you'll read the thread you posted your question in you'll get some suggestions.

charlietig likes this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Look at the edge. You will see the copper clad on the normal proofs. You should not see the copper on silver proofs.

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Toilet paper is still the easiest way.

Silver proofs show white through the tissue, the clads are gray. You don’t have to remove any cases, or disturb the coins in any way.

Draft saved Draft deleted