Silver penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tat2, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Tat2

Tat2 Member

I have a 1984 Lincoln cent no mint mark. Silver. Weighs 2.5g. It's not been chemically altered. I would really like some info about it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT
    We would like to share info with you but you need to post a pic of your coin, or we can just guess for you. IMO
    Dave

4. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

You have a plated penny.
    Many have been produced through the years as novelty items.
    You are not the first nor the last to make this thread.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Tat2

Tat2 Member

Attached Files:

6. Tat2

Tat2 Member

The one on the left is a steel penny. The middle is obviously a regular penny. The one on the left is the coin I'm asking about.

7. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Looks like plateing error zinc not steel a steel penny weighs 2.8 grams

8. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Imo good luck keep looking

9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Can you take just pictures of the coin in question? Closer and in focus. In all likelyhood, the copper plating was stripped off but I can't tell with just one side of your coin. Where did you get this coin from?

Tat2 likes this.
  10. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Stevearino and furryfrog02 like this.
  11. Tat2

Tat2 Member

I meant to say the one on the right is a steel penny.my apologies for the confusion.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

"Regular" 1984 cents should be 2.5 g, so if this were a different metal, it would not weigh that. The zinc put on the surface in the high school experiment is so thin it would not increase the weight. I think it is a zinc coated cent.

13. Tat2

Tat2 Member

14. Tat2

Tat2 Member

Would the zinc be easily damaged? As far as wearing off or scratching off? How can I tell for 100% certainty if it is zinc or not?

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Post Mint Damage.. That means it occurred after it left the Mint

Tat2 likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Difficult without altering the coin. If the weight is 2.5 grams, this is the normal weight for the normal cent. A dealer examining it in-hand would have a better chance to tell. The only other way would be to abrade some of the coating off, and even if this were on the edge, it would damage the coin. What metal would you think the cent is?

Tat2 likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm going to say plated, coin is high grade but shows no cartwheel luster. Surfaces are not dull, gray, or rough so it isn't a coin that has had the copper removed. So it has almost certainly been plated post mint.

You MIGHT be able to tell if it has been plated with an XRF test if it penetrates deeply enough (it would show a high copper content), or if it returns an element composition for the surface other than zinc (such as nickel or silver).

Draft saved Draft deleted