silver penny?? WHAT!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by garrett pond, Nov 12, 2015.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If it feels like a normal cent, (the aluminum ones will definitely be feelable lighter), then its a coated cent.

I was not trying to drag this out for others here, but the simple truth is some real rarities HAVE been discovered on such boards, and since it was dated 1974 I thought it was prudent to ask the weight question.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

5. garrett pond

garrett pond New Member

Ok so the scale is a cheep one I put a 1990 d penny on it and it weighs 2.5g the silver one is 3.0 - 3.1g ???

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"I found a 1955 Doubled Die, but it has VERY SEVERE road rash on both sides. What is it worth? Sorry, I can't post photos!"

99.999999% of the time, the questions of value are as ridiculous as this. Besides, a coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay, so how can anyone, here, state with any certainty what said coin is worth.

Chris

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Um, auction results, CDN, any other sources.

I guess I disagree with 99.99999% number. I HAVE seen valuable coins posted here with people not knowing what they were. Maybe I am just the optimist like people have accused me of being. I am here to answer people's questions about coins, not assume any coin I don't own must be garbage.

What if the OP just posted the 1974d weighed like 1 gram, and he just found out his uncle worked for the Treasury department?

charlietig likes this.
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Back during that time quite a few were plated as novelties, I have found them in roll searches and some of them seem to be plated with chromium or steel as they are mildly magnetic.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Back when cars had more chrome on the exterior than plastic or chromed duck tape, the chrome plating shops used small pieces of copper, like coins to adjust solutions or just to make trinkets for their kids.

10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

That's normal the mint changed the composition of the cent part way through 1982. Any Zincolns minted after that should weigh around 2.5 grams but the copper pennies from before then (such as your 1974) weigh around 3 grams. I'm also going with the coin was used in a science experiment.

11. cpm9ball

My comment has nothing to do with the '74D Aluminum Cent and everything to do with the opinions about what a coin may be worth. For example, the 1933 $20 Saint that sold for more than 7 million dollars. If the others went on the market, do you really think they would sell for a similar price? I'd be willing to bet that value estimates would range from a couple million to 10 million or more. Therefore, it's a waste of time to guesstimate a value on any coin unless you are making an offer to buy it.

Chris

12. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

On one hand I agree...... on the other hand, when someone comes along with a legitimate question on "What's it worth" and asks those for an opinion, there's nothing wrong with that.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the questions posted here are for less-than-mediocre coins found in circulated condition when the same coins of higher value are in high-grade uncirculated condition. Common sense should dictate that a coin in poor condition is worth very little at all. I've only been a member here for about 5-1/2 years, and I can honestly say that I can count on both hands the number of coins that were posted in excellent condition.

Chris

14. Kentucky

I'm not going to spend time trying to find a picture of a coin balanced on a pencil. How about the Chinese guys who spin plates on rods? (I'm kidding)

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Were you a talent booker for Ed Sullivan?

16. Kentucky

We have a reeeealy great shew for you tonight...including Topo Gigio topo.png

rickmp likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Not to spoil too much fun, but i have done the "gold penny" many times, and student results are often kind of crappy. If you stop at the zinc coating stage and buff it up, it would look a lot like the OP coin.

18. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That is also true

Draft saved Draft deleted