silver penny?? WHAT!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by garrett pond, Nov 12, 2015.

1. garrett pond

garrett pond New Member

What is this about I put the other to next to it so you can see a new one and old one look like next to it Screenshot_2015-11-12-05-00-51.png Screenshot_2015-11-12-05-00-51.png Screenshot_2015-11-12-05-01-24.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Composition was changed in 1982 from a copper alloy to copper plated zinc.
    Your silver penny is coated or plated with a silver colored metal.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

or..............

[never mind].

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I understand completely!

Chris

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

And I completely understand!

Kentucky and phankins11 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The only thing I don't understand is why we still have a "What's it Worth" forum.

Chris

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

What they are getting at OP is there is a slight chance yours could be a rare trial struck in aluminum to be given to Congress. The US government has declared them illegal to own. However, could you give us the weight of this coin please? Does it feel a LOT lighter than a regular cent?

Mojavedave likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

10. medoraman

Mojavedave likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ah, an optimist :) I would add a few more "9"s , but yes it is possible.

Yankee42 and Daniel Jones like this.
  12. medoraman

Maybe I am, but weirder stuff has happened. Remember people HAVE posted authentic things like Continental Dollars found in pawn shops before. Now, 99% of such stuff ISN'T real, but it has happened. :)

13. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

My thought's exactly!! I would be at 99.9999% sure. Get it on a scale and then we can bump it up the 0.0001%.

15. garrett pond

garrett pond New Member

I read about the aluminum one on line a year or so ago when I found this one and I have a friend bring over a scale in a few hours BUT I read that the aluminum one is like 1 gram or close to (comments)? And this one i am pretty sure comparing to a regular penny in the hand dose not feal that light (1 gram) ish. It feals the same or about the same as normal penny

16. garrett pond

garrett pond New Member

So is it possible that it could be made from the metal of a dime/nickel/quarter? ?

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

No. If it were on dime stock, it would be thinner, smaller in diameter, or some combination of both, and lighter than a normal penny. it would also show the copper at the edge. No other planchet will fit into the collar die.

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

It's possible, but not probable. The mint would have had to make coin blanks out of the wrong planchet material, then feed the blank into the coining press. It's happened before, but it's rare.

Your rim doesn't show any of the dime/quarter cladding associated with those coins. So not likely from either of those planchets. Nickel? Possible? Sure. Probable? No.

Please post the weight of the coin as soon as you can.

19. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

The red book says that some 1974 Lincolns were struck in aluminum as experimental pieces.

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

C'mon, where else would people ask these questions?

21. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

You can take a popsicle stick and a pencil and do a balance test.

Draft saved Draft deleted