Silver mining

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Ron Henry, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Ron Henry

Ron Henry Active Member

I haven’t posted in a long time because my results are pretty boring. I search two boxes of halves per week and find an occasional 40%, NIFC variety, or proof coin. But this report is about a person in our town who is abusing the dumping services at our bank big time.
    Recently, the bank personnel and security guard have told me about a guy who comes in and spends about 2-3 hours per trip dumping halves. I didn’t pay much attention at first, but this guy was really upsetting the staff, being rude and demanding, and requiring several bags to be replaced every time he was there. But yesterday, the security guard showed me his notes on his phone, where the bank manager asked him to observe and take notes. I was half listening over the noise of the machine, but it finally sunk in what the guy was doing when the guard said he was unwrapping rolls three at a time and putting the coins in the machine.
    Turns out the guy is bringing in 8-14 boxes of halves at a time and using the coin machine to sort out his silver. When I finally understood what he was doing, I was flabbergasted. He’s using the bank coin machine to mine for silver.
    My point of sharing this is to remind all roll hunters that the banks do us a favor allowing us to dump our reject coins, regardless of denomination. We need to be courteous to the bank personnel and fellow customers, or our privileges may be taken away.
    Hope everyone has a safe and blessed holiday season.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think you're complaining about the wrong person. If the bank employees let him get away with it, it's not his fault. Voicing your opinion here is not going to change anything.

yakpoo and Railguy like this.
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

If he can figure out a way to turn gift cards into cash, he could use CoinStar machines to pick out his silver and not have to mess with "lazy tellers".

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a great idea but the real problem lies in the fact that the bank lets him do it. Talk to the branch manager about the problem. Other customers can't use the machine if it's in use.

yakpoo likes this.
  6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Good point. The bank offers this as a service to their customers...all their customers.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

I calibrate the machines I service to accept silver coins. Problem solved. But if the bank lets him then it there isn't much you can do.

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted