Silver in Change

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by bhh, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Redleg21

Redleg21 New Member

I throw my change in a box on my dresser and every so often I go through it. I just recently did that and found a 1964 dime. I guess I did not notice it when I got it because it looked worn because it was tarnished.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

My most memorable occasion (not necessarily the most recent) was in the mid- 1970s while working as a window clerk at the post office - an elderly lady bought 20 first class stamps @ .10 each - she took an old envelope from her purse and dumped eight shiny Washington quarters on the counter - they rang like silver bells! :) - sure enough, they were all AU-looking 1964 silver quarters - even then, I knew a good thing when I saw it and scooped them up, set them aside for myself and swapped two paper bills into the cash drawer.
    I stored them in a white letter envelope inside a wooden cigar box for many years, and learned a valuable lesson about toning/tarnish/oxidation - by 2000 or so, they were all nearly black :rolleyes:

4. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

My son came home with a 1938 quarter, pretty good shape

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

A few months back I got a 1963 dime in change, and gave it to my boss, since his birthday was that day, and he was born in 1963. About 2 years ago he was thirsty and wanted one of my Cokes in the office fridge, and I told him "sure, just get one for me next time you buy some for work. He came over and dropped a Walking Liberty half, 1938 D, on my desk...
    The same boss, 4 years ago, handed me an envelope as I was leaving for a court appearance I had due to the ex wife being a (insert expletive here), and it was a Morgan, 1880 S, well worn, with a ding on the edge, but still a beautiful coin. I had a great day at court (the judge saw through her lies, and dismissed the EPO) and I've carried it with me every day, since, in my watch pocket.
    The coolest coin I ever got back in change was an 1889 Indian Head cent... from my change from buying a breakfast burrito at McDonalds. That was about 5 years ago.

TexAg likes this.
  6. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

1963 D quarter in change from a Pizza Hut.

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

A few years ago when I still had to go to the office on a daily basis I would stop off at a deli in the lobby to get breakfast. One week I got about a dozen silver dimes in change. One was an uncirculated 1941 merc dime.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Technically I was not given this in change. I was working at a liquor store in Louisville, CO in the early 1990's. All day this one nickel with a different patina was looking up at me every time I opened the register. Finally towards the end of the shift I looked at it. And replaced it with a regular nickel.
    WN3.png

Legoman1 and Sasquatch like this.
  9. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

Very nice find, Michael! I have that exact same year and mint- unfortunately, I didn't find it in circulation. I had to purchase it.

10. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

By the way, your coin looks surprisingly clean for one pulled from circulation. Could be AU.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes it's XF/AU (IMO). It is in the best condition of all my war nickels. I recently acetoned it, to get some tiny dark gummy spots off.
    Obverse has more of a wood grain appearance in hand.

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Interesting stuff. Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted