Silver in Change

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by bhh, Oct 22, 2018.

1. aaronsevil

aaronsevil New Member

I just got a roll of quarters from an in store bank and found a 1942 quarter! made my day! Great question!

LA_Geezer, bhh and Legoman1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Been pulling silver from Coin Star and metal detecting, and found a merc in the street, and GF found a Rosie in the Starbucks drive through.
    But in change, I was using the self serve at a Smiths grocery 10 years ago,
    and popped a 1945-S nickel. I could see instantly in the change cup that it was good.
    Before that I managed a C store and an occasional silver would turn up.

4. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

About a year ago I got 14 pre 64 Roosevelt dimes at MickyDs. I paid and got back 74 cents in change and both dimes were silver. I asked the person at the register if I could buy the rest of those left in the tray and got 12 more. I always wondered if they got a roll for making change or if some kid raided dads stash.

Dave Waterstraat and bhh like this.
  5. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

Getting a silver quarter in change is what re-kindled my interest in coins. Never knew that CRH was even a thing until I took to the internet to read up on finding silver coins in circulation.

Most recent score was at a taqueria near work - I was due about 60 cents in change, and they must have been low or out of quarters, because I got 5 or 6 dimes back. Three of them were silver. I tried to ask for more, but it was the lunchtime rush and I wasn't really able to explain what I meant using my Spanish and the cashier's English.

bhh likes this.
  6. WalkingBenjamin

WalkingBenjamin New Member

Around 5 years ago I was picking up some side orders for Thanksgiving at Boston Market. I was owed 80+ cents and they had no change at the register. The manager went into the safe and gave me 8 barber dimes. I didn't think to ask to exchange for more and since it was the Thanksgiving rush, I didn't want to hold up the line.

7. Ruben

Ruben Member

'43 Merc at a college bookstore....3 yr ago.

bhh likes this.
  8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I've gotten a silver dime and quarter at different times over the last couple years. More interestingly I got back a pair of silver certificate $1 in change last year, and just last week a red seal 1963 United States Note $5.

bhh likes this.
  9. Bernie Parrish

Bernie Parrish New Member

About 3 years ago in a quick mart I heard silver hitting the counter in front of me. I asked cashier if she wanted to sell them to me. I got 14 Franklin halves @ 50 Cents each.

bhh likes this.
  10. steve63

steve63 Active Member

A 1976-S silver quarter two weeks ago.

NOS likes this.
  11. Pres in RVA

Pres in RVA New Member

In 2006, I was checking out of a Days Inn in NOVA, and received in change an 1898 Barber dime in F condition; 2 years ago, someone left an 1877 IHC in G condition in the have-a-penny, leave-a-penny tray in an RVA gas station and last week, received a 1961 Rosey in change from Kroger.

12. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

It's been so long, I can't remember! Great to hear that several others have had good fortune.

13. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Just a week apart and earlier this year, the same Coinstar at my local Albertson's Supermarket yielded first a 1964-D Quarter then a 1963. That same machine also coughed up several 1964 dimes AND a '52D. It's as if people have stopped using the machine, though, nothing, not even a miscreant Zincoln since the end of Spring.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

That's not getting it in change. The CS rejects silver coins for being the wrong metal.
    As for the silver certificates, they haven't been redeemable for silver for 50 years. While cool, it's just an old dollar bill.
    As for the 1877, it is a highly counterfeited coin, photos would be nice.
    Signed,
    Captain Buzzkill

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Standing around talking to a dealer when a lady who was a waitress came in and wanted to sell him some coins and bills. She had a 1-2 inch stack of $1 silver certificates that he declined to buy. Told her the circulated ones were worth so little, she might as well spend them and make some people who found them happy.

bhh and LA_Geezer like this.
  16. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Spirityoda started it, El Capitan. ;)

Can't say when I last got a silver coin in change; maybe 20 years ago... no, maybe 30.

17. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

War Nickel from Zaxby's earlier this year.

18. Bob_G

Bob_G New Member

I received a 1955 Roosevelt dime at the grocery store last week.

Kentucky and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Someone was raiding their daddy's old coin cookie jar for just change to buy stuff around the city.

20. pjerin

pjerin New Member

couple months ago a 1957 washington Quarter from large chain grocery store. Also got a 1964 dime from the bank, I saw it in the tray and asked for it and yep she gave it to me...surprised me too.

21. Dooms

Dooms New Member

My wife seems to accumulate a lot of change which she gives to me to go through and then roll and deposit. Aside from random wheats, I did find a '62 Roosevelt about 3 weeks ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted