Silver dollars used as shooting targets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by willieboyd2, May 25, 2014.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I just watched the old Western film "Winchester 73" and it made me wonder about something.

In the film, there is a rifle shooting contest where the marshall throws silver dollars into the air and the contestants shoot at them.

Does anyone here have a silver dollar that has been shot?

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

No, But my Uncle does. He won a bet for 5 grand with his lifetime friend. His Friend told him he could not do it and that if he had he'd pay my uncle 5 grand. My uncle loaded his Revolver and shot the Morgan Dollar. right on the edge next to the cap on liberty.

Yes, my Uncle is a gun nut. He also likes to tell stories to so whether or not this is a true story or not is another question. He did however take a bullet to show me and it did appear to fit the size of the hole.

Mainebill likes this.
  4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Not Silver Dollars willieboyd, but there is an example known of an 1890 English Half Penny counterstamped "Oakley" that supposedly was shot by Annie Oakley at one of her shows. She performed in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show which toured England in the 1890s. As the story goes, she would shoot coins thrown in the air. They were then stamped with her name and given out as souvenirs. Don't know if the story is true or not, but interesting just the same.

Brce

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't have any but I have certainly see people do it, several times. And if memory serves there is a thread from a few years back with pictures of coins that were shot.

I never tried to shoot a coin out of the air myself, but I have personally shot items out of the air that were the same size as a silver dollar.

wyatt1321 likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I take back all the snarky things I have ever said about you.

vlaha, definer and Savy like this.
  7. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

i've shot quarters and halves with a .22 before. they were taped to a target, not thrown though

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Doug , but you're not supposed to use a shotgun with birdshot . ;)

SchwaVB57, -jeffB, vlaha and 4 others like this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure a hand gun would put a hole in a dollar that was thrown in the air. Probably just a dent. Am I thinking right Doug?

wyatt1321 likes this.
  10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have an Eisenhower Dollar around here somewhere that I shot. I'll admit, it took several attempts...but I got it. My friend threw it and I shot it with a 1911 Colt .45.

FYI, we did it in an old rock quarry at the base of a large cliff so there was a backstop for the bullets. :)

rzage likes this.
  11. rzage

They make some pretty powerful handguns today , I think a .357 would definitely go through a Morgan . Though I might try it tonight with my Model 39 9mm . I imagine at over 1200 fps it would be the type of bullet that mattered most , something like a fmj and not a hollow point .

12. Kentucky

Sping...sping...sping...sping...sping...sping...sping...sping...sping...

wyatt1321 and rzage like this.
  13. rzage

You forgot , DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wyatt1321 and Kentucky like this.
  14. Kentucky

DUCK.....oops, too late...

vlaha, mlov43, rzage and 1 other person like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I was just thinking if the coin was in the air, the round would send it flying and not actually put a hole in it. I'm just guessing.

wyatt1321 likes this.
  16. Kentucky

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I nailed a quarter to a tree and me and a friend shot at it from about 100 yards with my .308 the loser bought a case of beer he missed by about an inch and a half I nailed it I didn't bother to save it tho is a Remington 700 with a leupold scope

rzage and wyatt1321 like this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Is an idea to try shooting a dollar outta the air I'll have to try it round up a couple Ike's and my p228 sig

wyatt1321 likes this.
  19. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

During a family vacation in 1984, when I was 10 years old, I visited the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wyoming with my dad. Even at that age I was already collecting coins, so the one exhibit I can still remember is a display of several silver dollars shot by Buffalo Bill during his shows. They must have been shot by a large caliber round because they were totally mangled through the center and fully intact only near the rims.

Has anyone been to this museum? Since 30 years have gone by I'm not sure if it still exists or if the silver dollar exhibit is still there..

wyatt1321 likes this.
  20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The one I shot...it put a big dent in it and sent it flying off away from us. I didn't hit it dead center though.

21. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

I haven't ever seen any Silver Dollars that have been shot, but I would love to get down to Charleston, SC and see the Hunley exhibit. They have Lt. George Dixon's $20 gold piece that he was given by his girlfriend for luck when he left to join the Civil War. He was shot and the Gold coin saved his life. He(I'm assuming) later inscribed on the reverse:
    Shiloh
    April 6th, 1862
    My live preserver
    G.E.D.

This was all a rumor until the Hunley was found and they started to go through the preservation process on it. I am pretty sure that no one knew about the inscription on the back of it. That's a cool story, until you realize he didn't cheat death the 2nd time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.hunley.org/main_index.asp?CONTENT=GOLDCOIN

thetracer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted