Silver dollar weights and Chinese fakes........

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by scout308, Sep 24, 2010.

1. scout308

scout308 Junior Member

So I had the opportunity to examine some Chinese fakes today and I took the time to weigh them......Morgan 26.4grams, trade dollar 25.9 grams, peace 25.4 grams, and another morgan 28.5

I had always heard weighing was a definitive test.....

So, its clear the 28.5 gram is fake, too heavy

But are the others within the acceptable range for coins with wear???

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I don't know where you heard that but I would never say weighing a coin is a definitive test. Sure, if the coin is significantly underweight or overweight that might be a clue it is a fake but I would not use that test alone to authenticate or condemn a coin.

Kentucky, Beefer518 and Jack D. Young like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

From the Red Book....

Morgan - 26.73gms
    Peace - 26.73gms
    Trade - 27.22gms

Weight isn't always definitive. The Chinese are getting better at producing them to near-correct standards. Of course there is always the magnetic test, specific gravity and, now, NGC provides a service to analyze the composition.

Chris

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

As stated the Chinese are using 90% sillver US coin metal on their higher end fakes , so weight and even specific gravity alone are not definative of a good or bad coin . Awhile back I bought a Trade ( raw ) dollar off of someone on this forum . I took the coin to Tom Delorey , a well known Trade dollar expert who wrote an article on Modern Chinese TD fakes . His opinion was while there was no red flags to lead him to say fake or not , meaning the design was near perfect , something about the surface microstrucure made him lead for saying it was a fake . But to tell for sure he would need better equipment which he didn't have at the time . The lesson here is if evan a top notch expert can't always be sure don't buy any Trade dollar raw , buy certified . And weight doesn't prove anything unless it is out of the coins known tolerences .
    rzage

capthank likes this.
  6. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

but if an expert can't tell, who can? i guess certification is 99.99% accurate.

Blissskr likes this.
  7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Better yet become an expert and buy the genuine Trade Dollars that everyone else is afraid to buy.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sometimes without specialized equipment you can't tell, that is the point that was being made.

But consider this - of all raw coins, regardless of denomination, 8 out of 10 of them, and often even more, are problem coins. So the odds are stacked against you when buying any raw coin. So unless you are very, very good with coins - you shouldn'd be buying them anyway.

The one exception to that is if you buy them from a trusted dealer who you know for a fact will take the coin back at any time, even years later, if there is ever a problem with it.

fireguy83 likes this.
  9. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Just a quibble, GD, but I have eight deniers from 250 years of medieval Champagne and I am pretty sure that they are what they seem. And it depends on what you mean by "problems." A lot of Lincoln cents got rubbed with erasers per the Boy Scout Handbook, but I think they have retoned over time.

I might accept that 8 out of 10 raw Trade Dollars are problematic.

Best wishes,
    Mike M.

(I am not alone in having a great deal of respect for you, but that means that we weigh your words to the hundredth of a gram.)

10. GDJMSP

If a Lincoln was rubbed with an eraser - 200 years later it would still be a problem coin. Once a problem coin - always a problem coin. There is no fixing them.

For example - any coin that has dark, unsightly toning is not a problem coin. But a coin where that dark toning has been allowed to progress to the point that it has corroded the metal is a problem coin.

Examples of problem coins are those that have been harshly/improperly cleaned, whizzed, have altered surfaces, artificial toning etc etc. Basically anything that PCGS or NGC would put in a Genuine slab is a problem coin.

11. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I don't like the term "problem" coin. If 8 out of 10 raw coins are "problem," there must be a collector's market for them. A rim ding here, an old cleaning there -- many collectors don't really care. And as long as you pay a rim ding price for a rim ding coin, it shouldn't be a problem. Not everyone wants or can afford to buy only high grade uncirculated "no-problem" coins. I don't agree that those people should not be buying coins.

-jeffB likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

What there's a market for are coins that many collectors don't even realize are problem coins. They pay full retail for a coin with that old, harsh cleaning, or rim dings that would keep them out of a slab. And it's not just MS coins Cloud - were talking everything from G on up.

Problem is when they go to try and sell them, that's when they find out that they have a problem coin. A coin that they paid $40 or $50 for and they can only get $10.

13. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

Exact weight won't tell you it's real. Case in point, look at the small eagle 1798 dollar coin shown in http://www.cointalk.com/t121026/. The weight was dead on: 29.96 grams. Results of PCGS authentication: Chinese counterfeit. FYI, it fooled 2 of the 4 dealers I showed it to.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The only time weight is close to a definite test is when the result is well off tolerance.

cpm9ball gave you the weights of the Morgan, Peace and Trade dollars. The tolerance ranges are +/- .097 grams for all three coins. So the range for the Morgan and Peace dollar is 26.63 - 26.83 grams. The Trade dollar is 27.12 - 27.32 grams.

So none of the four coins in the op are close to being in tolerance.

15. Charles ledbetter

Charles ledbetter New Member

My 1873 trade dollar weighs 26 grams is this ok

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Read the thread. If that is too much, just read the post above yours.

17. Patrick Welch

Patrick Welch New Member

Hello folks , I have a cc 1879 Morgan dirty die coin I just found out is three grams under weight . I am new to this and ouch! Is there any way it could still be real ? It’s a beautiful coin and looks to be a A/U. Is it possible they didn’t have the ability to produce the exact weight every time. I would appreciate any help . Thanks Pat

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

3 grams underweight, pretty much impossible. They may have been using automatic weighing machines by then, but every planchet was still individually weighed. Allowed tolerance was only .097 grams, the chances they would allow a 3 gram underweight coin out would be practically zero.

Mike Davis likes this.
  19. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Are you positive the scale you are using is working properly? Also, do you have pictures of the coin that we can see? Lastly, creating a new thread would probably help you get more responses. Welcome to CT!

20. Patrick Welch

Patrick Welch New Member

Hello sorry for the late reply . Yes the scale is correct I weighed several others and they were correct . I would be happy to post a photo as soon as I figure out how to . I am a very new newbie . Lol

21. WS6_Keith

WS6_Keith New Member

Hey guys, first post here...found this forum doing some searching. I recently bought a coin that was sold from Oregon, but shipped from China, so I was immediately suspicious. When I received the coin, it looks pretty good, but it's about 3+grams lite compared to other Peace dollars I have. I grabbed 10 and weighed them on my scale. They ranged from a well worn 25.5g to 26.7g. The coin I just received weighed only 22.8g. A magnet does not stick to it.

Here are the weights of the coins I weighed, to the right of the scale in the picture below. The coin in question is on the scale and in the other two pics.

25.5 - well worn

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted