$ ? - Silver Dollar Morgan

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by stevewamhof, May 9, 2010.

1. stevewamhof

stevewamhof Coin Collector & Investor

Hello,

I am new to coin collecting and I am finding it diffilcult to estimate the value of some coins given to me.

One coin is a silver dollar 1921 Morgan. It is from the Philadelphia Mint for it has no mint mark. I know that much!

There must be other factors in figuring out value.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Howdy and welcome. Before I go any further please accept this advice and do not clean any coin in any manner whatsoever. Use this as a general guide as you learn and it might save you heartache upon resale. There is an excellent general resource for learning about US coinage and it is loosely titled A Guide Book of United States Coins and is better known simply as the Red Book. It gives quick definitions of how to grade, original mintages, short histories and a price guide for US coins.

If you can provide somewhat useful images and post them then we might be able to guide you along with respect to grading and value. Good luck!

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

welcome to ct

5. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

welcome,you can get a free resource on PCGS.com,including how to grade the coins condition,and a retail price guide,all for FREE!! here are the links

get the grade then get the price.the price listed there is for graded coins only,and a premium is added compared what a raw coin would sell at auction.so dont get upset if someone tells you it is worth less than you might estimate,Coin talk is a great place.
    http://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/default.aspx

6. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

1921 is a fairly common year for Morgan dollars. Even without seeing it, I'd place the value around $20.

7. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Morgans from the Philadelphia mint were the highest number produced in 1921 from all the Mint branches, at 44,690,000. The value can range from $15 - $140 depending on condition and grade. That was also the last year Morgans were minted, and the total number from all 3 branches, was 86,730,000.

Draft saved Draft deleted