Silver Dollar coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ledna, Sep 17, 2014.

1. ledna

ledna New Member

Hi everyone my name is Steven and I am in South Africa, I collect coins but mostly the old ZAR Republic coins in silver and gold, for a long time now I am very interested in getting the old American Silver Dollar coin, I know it is probably not that special for some of your guys but it is for me, now the question is what am I looking at money wise and availability.

Looking forward to your response

Thanks Steven

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Well, it really depends on the type of silver dollar you want.

4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Well, the most commonly encountered dollar is the 'Morgan' dollar, minted from 1878-1921. They are very available, and start around $21-25 for common, circulated examples.

5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Not to mention there are around 900 million of them... :D

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Ugh...enough with the Morgans already people...(I'm sure I've made enough of you mad with that statement...lol). Go for the Peace Dollar!

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Not quite! I believe there are less than 150 million left.

Chris

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Steven!

Since you are in South Africa, I would imagine that you will have to resort to the internet to obtain some of the US silver dollars. Please use caution when considering raw coins because there are so many sleazebags offering problem & counterfeit coins. My advice to you would be to stick to reputable dealers you know. Otherwise, only purchase coins certified by either NGC, PCGS or ANACS.

Chris

9. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Welcome Steven!

Common date Peace dollars will cost you about the same as common date Morgan dollars.

Generally speaking, on US coins, if there is no mint mark on the coin it was minted in Philadelphia, the oldest US mint (nowadays a P is added). A D on a coin would stand for the Denver mint, an S on a coin would stand for San Francisco. Getting a little more esoteric an O would stand for New Orleans, and CC would stand for Carson City.

Earlier common date/mm for Morgans would include 1879-1882 S mint coins, 1883 - 1885 O mint coins and 1885 - 1887 (Philadelphia). If you want an uncirculated coin, let's use MS63 for a grade, it will cost you ~ $55.

For the Peace dollar series the 1922 - 1925 (Philadelphia) would be the most common coins. If you want an uncirculated coin, again say MS63, it'll cost you ~ $45.

If you want to collect silver dollars before 1878 (e.g. the start of the Morgan silver dollars), your costs will be much higher.

10. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

The D mint mark was actually used by two completely different Mints though not at the same time.

A D mint mark on gold dollars, quarter eagles, three dollars (1854 only) and half eagles struck from 1838 to 1861 were made by the Dahlonega Mint.

The Denver Mint began striking coins in 1906.

11. ledna

ledna New Member

Thanks for the response, yes I know there is a lot of skabengas out there that is why I asked u guys, thanks for the feedback

12. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

NONE of which are silver dollars. I was trying to simplify things for our foreign friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted