Silver Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sam Stone, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Only slight disagreement, patting or blotting dry shouldn't do any harm and if the solvent evaporates and contains any dissolved material, it will deposit it on the coin. Minor quibble on my part.

Sam Stone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

Mr Kentucky, thank you for the extra details. I'm sorry I haven't been responsive as I should, I'm just currently unable to be as involved as I want/need to be. I am very sick, but not physically. I explained it a bit more in a post I just made in the thread Warning! My Shortest Post Ever. Eventually, it's kind people like yourself that helps me get out of bed and stand upright some days and I'm trying hard to chew through the figurative restraints. People don't often understand me, but I am genuinely sincere when I say how impressed I am, how much I've learned or grown from someone's interest in answering my questions, but most importantly, how truly grateful I am for other people's patience and giving valuable time to a total stranger like me.

Thank you, kind sir, for all you've personally done for me.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But if there is any dust or grit on the blotting material any sideways movement while blotting can cause scratches, (a good portion of common dust is silica which is hard enough to scratch the metal.) This is why I prefer a FLOWING rinse with the pure solvent (pour the solvent over the coin) to flush away any contaminants and then just let the solvent evaporate, no need to dry, especially with something like acetone that evaporates very quickly.

Sam Stone and Some Aussie like this.
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Literally in a matter of seconds. Less time than it would take to pick up the aforementioned microfiber cloth and engage in patting or blotting.

Sam Stone likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted