Silver dime 1911

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Annshecur, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Annshecur

Annshecur New Member

I'm trying to find out how much an 1911 silver dime is worth. On the back of the dime it has a V with wheat around it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

It sounds like what you have there is actually a Liberty Head or "V-Nickel".

A good rule of thumb for value is looking at liberty's head piece to see how many letters of "LIBERTY" are visible.

If all the letters are obliterated the coin is probably worth less than $2.00. (Good condition or worse)

A partial LIBERTY would mean VG condition and about $2.50 of value.

Full LIBERTY means $4.50 plus depending on the condition from there.

I hope this helps you out!

4. Uncle Herbie

Uncle Herbie Senior Member

Psssssssssst, they'll want a piccie.

It's value depends on what kind of shape it's in. On the up side, if you can get a picture for the folks around here they'll be able to give you a pretty good idea of what you've got.

One or two may even be able to tell you what kind of gum the guy running the press that made it was chewing. They're scary that way.

5. Annshecur

Annshecur New Member

thank you. Yes this helps. I quess it's not worth anythig even though it's really old.

6. SapperNurse

SapperNurse DOD enhanced

Depends on how you define worth Annshecur. For one, it is a nickle, in fine condition could be worth $4 ish
    That is 80X the face value.
    Secondly, it is really old, a part of history, and somethign that is often sought after by others. Value can be estimated but it all dwells down to how much someone is willing to pay for it.
    Thirdly, if you are like me and want a whole set of "V" nickels, it is a step in that direction. Every great collection, large and small, began with a coin.

7. Silver Coins

Silver Coins New Member

Yes...we need a picture as then its more easy to see and judge...

8. deb1142

deb1142 Junior Member

9. deb1142

deb1142 Junior Member

I also have a 1911 dime with a V on the back surrounded by wheat. Liberty head is on the front surrounded by stars...what is the value??

10. deb1142

deb1142 Junior Member

1911 v dime

I also have this dime and would like to know the value...

11. Mareesey

Mareesey Member

Again its all about posting a picture.

12. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

age is not always a factor, I have 600 year old coins that are worth less then a few bucks.

13. FarmerB

FarmerB Senior Member

We want pics.
    A 'V' nickel can go from $5 to $5000!!
    All depending upon condition.
    WE WANT THE PICS:loud::loud::loud:

14. deb1142

deb1142 Junior Member

It is a dime, sorry!

15. deb1142

deb1142 Junior Member

it is a dime, sorry

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Photos. We need photos.

17. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Is this a Canadian dime?

18. deb1142

deb1142 Junior Member

no..usa... it says 'cents' on it but I am not able to see the '10' or 'ten'...shall take it to a dealer.

19. CashDude

CashDude Member

The V means 5... *facepalm*

20. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Why do you say it is a dime? Is it the size of a dime? Or is it the size of a nickel?

My bet (all along) is it is a Liberty or 'V' Nickel. (The 'V' on a 'V' Nickel signifies its value of 5 CENTS, the 'V' being a Roman Numeral 'FIVE'.)

21. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Since 1838, all American 10-cent pieces have been inscribed with the word "dime".
    Since 1864, the only American coins that have been inscribed with the word "cents" (plural) have been the short-lived 2-cent piece, and the nickel 5-cent piece (which first appeared in 1866).

Draft saved Draft deleted