Silver Coins of Mexico

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Lather, Sep 24, 2010.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a three of my favorite Mexican coins! :thumb:

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whstler

whstler New Member

I think the Zs on the coin indicates that it was minted at Zacatecas.

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am 100% sure the is an S mint mark. I had it 45+ years in my world silver Dime type set

5. whstler

whstler New Member

Hi Jello.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and I'm not actually even sure what you were trying to say when you wrote, "the is an S mint mark."

If you look in the 2011 North American Coins & Prices book on page 544, you'll see a photo of this same coin, albeit a 1897 year. You will also see that the mint marks in the listings for that coin show that the mint mark for the Zacatecas mint is ZsZ, just like on your coin. The Mexico city mint mark for that coin would be MoM or MoB, and on most other Mexico city coins, simply the Mo.

Either way, you have a very nice quality coin. Thank you for sharing it with us.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Jello - this is what the one from the Mexico City mint looks like -

[​IMG]

Yours is from Zacatecas.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Brain Fart# I lost count

Yes there is an S there Yes I got confused on the O being Mexico city mint.
    All I can say is I am sorry.:foot-mouth:here the S

Attached Files:

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The only Mexican coins which would qualify for an 'S' mintmark would
    be the 1898 peso restrikes made at the San Francisco Mint during the
    summer of 1949.

:)

9. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Why do those coins have purity??? Won't they have to make more (hoarding)

10. whstler

whstler New Member

Hi jcakcoin.

Since I seem to be the one who wrote most about purity, perhaps you are referring to my post, but I am not sure what you are asking. I will attempt to answer what I think you are saying, but if you are asking something different, please let me know. On the other hand, if you are asking someone else something, perhaps you could clarify.

People everywhere seem to be hoarding silver (and gold) somewhat. But some people have been hoarding a long time here in Guadalajara and are ready to sell. So, every week, when we walk among the cambios (money exchange houses), we find new coins that the cambios have purchased from willing sellers. I think it will be quite awhile before silver is difficult to find here in Guadalajara, because hoarding here is less common than in USA or Canada or many other places.

Mexico is the second largest producer of silver worldwide, I think, which means that el Banco de Mexico should have no problem acquiring the silver they need to produce their silver bullion coins, the Libertad. Occasionally, they mint other pure silver coins, as well, usually in commemoration of an historical event. I am not aware that el Banco de Mexico bothers to acquire old coinage to extract the silver content in order to use that silver for new coins, though if people turn in their silver coins, the bank will pay them the face value of the coins, which is far, far less than the spot price of the silver content.

There is so much silver in all forms here in Guadalajara that we can wander the downtown area (and other parts of the city) and find cambios willing to sell silver coins and bullion rounds for less than spot price, though some will charge a bit of a premium for some of the proof commemorative coins, or for very old and rare coins.

I hope I have answered your question. If not, or if you were directing your question to someone else's comment, perhaps you could clarify for us. Thank you.

11. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

Whstler, I have a 1972 25 pesos "fatman Juarez coin" I have litteraly searched everywhere, and cannot find the error coin or possible fake coin I may have inherited. The coin has NO "M" or mintmark on it after the LEY 0.720 mark on it. Every same coin ive found online has the M 1972 after the LEY symbol. Can you please help me out.

12. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

20160910_215454.jpg

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted