Silver change back at lunch

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jlj, Sep 7, 2015.

1. jlj

jlj Member

A couple of weeks ago, I paid for my lunch and received this 1948 dime in my change. Three days later I paid for my lunch at a different restaurant and received this 1964 dime back in my change! Not worth much, but still fun to find them. IMG_4849.JPG IMG_4850.JPG

mill rat41, McBlzr, green18 and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

Cool. I still get a smile on my face when I get a 1981 or earlier penny.

rzage and Endeavor like this.
  4. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's and 90's I would sometimes find a Susan B. Anthony dollar in my pocket and wonder where it came from, and then realized I was getting them back in change in place of a quarter. That mistake happened a lot back then. Sort of a dumb idea to make them almost the same size as a quarter. This was back when cashiers could still do basic math in their heads and I would just stick my change in my pocket without counting it. These days if your bill comes to $15.51 and hand the cashier $20.01 it totally confuses them.

NSP, NOS, Daniel Jones and 1 other person like this.
  5. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Cool! They are still worth about $1 each. Maybe not worth much, but still fun to get!

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Cool, they offset some of the price of lunch, too.

7. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

the way i look a
    t it you just got the cost of one days lunch in your pocket change if your average cost is about 4.50- 5$

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why? It's a copper alloy which costs more to extract the pure copper than it is worth.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

But at least they're real and not that zincoid junk that corrodes spontaneously on contact with the air . I like pre 81 cents too .;)

TX15FX4 likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Can you show your work on that bit of math?

Daniel Jones likes this.
  11. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Wow... I haven't personally seen a silver coin in change since the early 1990s when one popped out of a vending machine right into my hand. I still have that friendly thing somewhere. I'm glad to see that people still run into circulating silver.

This month's Numismatist contains an interesting article about a collector who bought 172 cent rolls total from 5 different cities and recorded how many wheaties he found. Since it's still a fresh article I'll leave the results to the curious. But anyone could run similar experiments with higher denominations and record the resulting silver catch.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I've gotten a couple in change over the years, but not many. They are pretty hard to find, understandably. Even the roll searchers are running low. Congrats on your small win.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I never could understand the stupidity in distinguishing between the two.......after all, the Suzy B had a unique shape. If I had no trouble discerning the difference (and I'm no rocket scientist) how come folks other than me did? It wasn't a dumb idea, just too many dumb people....... devil.gif

14. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

The first time I saw an SBA was as a small child coming back from the drug store. When I emptied out my pockets I realized that the clerk had given me 3 SBAs instead of 3 quarters. That was a very profitable stick of gum. If only all financial transactions worked that way.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dumb people/clerks.......

16. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I have to laugh when I hand a young cashier either a fifty cent piece or a two dollar bill and they have to call the manager over because they think I'm trying to pass counterfeit money.

Daniel Jones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted