Silver Britannia's

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jterry85, Dec 5, 2010.

1. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I just ordered the 2011 Silver Britannia and am looking to buy the 2010 as well. I was just wondering if anyone else collected these and if so which one is your favorite?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I like them a lot. I only have a 2010, and I want a 2011...did you order direct from UK mint? I see you are from Germany, I guess that is probably easier for you?

4. SilverCeder

SilverCeder Active Member

I have a 2007 Britannia and a 2010 Proof Britannia and I really like them, however, I kind of collect a little of everything. Have some eagles, maples, kooks, libertads, pandas, philharmonics, and others, but not a bunch of any one thing. I am really starting to lean toward Canada bullion, especially with their new wildlife series coming out and their 5 dollar face value. Britannias are neat as well and have a much lower mintage than most others. The 2010 Proof is amazing! APMEX has them for 129.00 right now. Got mine for 99.00 a couple months ago. Happy collecting!

5. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

Yes, I ordered mine direct from the mint. I live in Germany but since I'm in the army I have a stateside APO address. I think the design of the Britannia's are some of the best I've seen. I'd like to get some Libertads as well, they look nice too. The UK mint is selling the 2010 Britannia for 30 pounds but it says they are awaiting stock. I don't know if this means they are out and can't be ordered or if they are just on a back order.

P.S. That price is for the silver UC not the proof.

6. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I was confused by the UK mint's website, because once I put in my zip and country the price dropped from like 30 pounds to 25.53 pounds and I wasn't sure which would get converted to dollars or what...so if anyone could shed some light on that it'd be cool too...

I want to get some Libertads, some more Britannias, and a little bit of a bunch of over things too!

7. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

That's strange slamster, it didn't do that for me. I did have to go to yahoo finance and though and use their currency converter to figure out the USD price. I'm with you though, I just kind of collect whatever catches my eye. Problem is that the things that catch my eye right now are shiny and silver and expensive!

8. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

the total on my basket was like 95 pounds with 10 pounds shipping for 2 2011 Britannias and a 2011 proof set...original price 30 pounds and 39.99 pounds...which adds up to 109...so I'm going to hold off until i can hear from them...

9. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

maybe it's a discount :D !

10. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

i wish it was a discount...too bad 95 pounds is still like $150

11. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

yeah, a friend just showed me the czech mint website and they have some beautiful silver proof coins as well for roughly $27 but shipping is a killer at around $14

12. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

is that really that much different from the shipping and handling costs at APMEX and Provident metals though? All shipping costs are somewhat ridiculous.

13. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

14. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

Well... I caved and ordered the 2010 Silver Britannia also. It says it is awaiting stock and that it will usually ship within 21 days. Has anyone else had experience with the Royal Mint and know how realistic this time frame is?

15. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Yes, I haven given up being a contributor to the U.S. Mint. I purchased both the 2010 & 2011

16. ahearn

ahearn Member

I too like the Britannia and have the 2009 and 2010 proofs. I'll get a 2011 although the photos I've seen concern me a little. But I'm sure the actual coin will be much more attractive than the photos. I'll probably wait to get one at a local coin show where prices are good and there's no shipping.

17. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

coinman- Is the mint usually good about shipping their products? Also does anyone know if the proofs are more valuable/collectibe than the bullion coins? I ordered the bullion coins because of price.

18. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

The reason for the price drop may be to do with VAT. Silver (unlike gold) comes with a 17.5% tax to UK residents, which isn't applicable in the US, so that might be the reason why they are willing to discount the price for Americans. Lucky you...

19. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Nice! That make's it seem worth it, too bad the pound is still kicking the dollar's butt, might just bite the bullet and order though!

20. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

Well... I decided to make a set of Britannia's which shouldn't take too long since the 1oz coins were only made starting in 1997. Does anyone know any good websites or books with information about the 1oz Britannia coins? I tried searching and only found one site that had information but it didn't have any after 2004. All the other sites I found just sold them.

21. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted