Silver ancient Greek coin bust facing left

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Joseph Sarkissian, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Joseph Sarkissian

Joseph Sarkissian Active Member

Greetings. Delving into my coins again after a long vacation in Ireland. Amazing history in every corner of the island. Didn't dig up any Celtic coins though. Too many sheep distracting you. Coming back to history and coins, I would appreciate some help in identifying this what seems to be a Ptolemaic or post-Alexander Greek provincial coin, but bust facing left. My search shows all Ptolemy coins with bust facing right. 13.82 g, AR 23. Image-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nero. AD 54-68.

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. AR Tetradrachm (24mm, 14.46 g, 12h). Dated year 114 of the Caesarean Era (AD 65/6). Laureate bust left, wearing aegis / ETOYΣ Δ-[IP], eagle standing left on thunderbolt, with wings spread; palm frond to left. McAlee 266; Prieur 91; RPC I 4191.

4. Joseph Sarkissian

Thanks Mat, excellent.

GerardV likes this.
  5. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

If you are a member, then Nero you should indentify with ease, with his fat face and chin :))

Theodosius likes this.
  6. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Nice coin....I do not have a Nero .

Joseph Sarkissian likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice. I need one of these.

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very desirable TET....My only Tet is a Antioch variety with the more common right facing bust.

9. Joseph Sarkissian

I hope you don't introduce a quiz for members to identify faces of Roman emperors before I study them more. As an amateur I got many of them down already but still a lot to go as I tackle my inventory of coins.

7Calbrey and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. Cyrrhus

He I got a left one and right one...just went true my coins again, puff I have a lot...some I forgot about... IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

Curtisimo, GerardV, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  11. Cyrrhus

your always welcome to ask..but not Nero..too easy !!

12. Cyrrhus

oo trough instead of true..I am tired..,.

Pishpash likes this.
  13. Gilbert Cameron

Gilbert Cameron New Member

[​IMG]anyone know what this is?

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Show both sides, and weight and measurement if possible

GerardV likes this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

IT'S A COIN!!!!

(Sorry... someone had to do it)

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Carthaginean...

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As I get older I find my memory for names and faces of people I meet becoming more a problem for me. However my long term memory of over a hundred'old friends' whose faces I only know from coins experienced over the last 50+ years is still going strong. I'm not claiming familiarity with many late Romans whose coins are barely human looking or tend to look alike but faces like Nero (young, old, Provincial, Imperial) are things we tend to learn at least as well as some of our cousins who live out of town.

I, too, only have a right facer from Antioch
    pb0110b00252lg.jpg
    but there are lefties from Alexandria (with Tiberius right)
    pa0135bb3029.jpg
    and Macedon.
    pb0080bb0047.jpg

I note on our Antioch coins that the 'NERO' part of the legend is at the left of the left facer and at the right of the right facers. I wonder if that is consistent.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just a word to new folks: When you are asking for help, give what you can in the way of information that might help us help you. If you call 911, you tell the operator the nature and address of the problem. If you call upon Bing and the bunch from CT, do not worry about giving too many clues or too good a photo. We, for the most part, are happy to help but (especially when I'm in a bad mood) fuzzy photos of one side of a coin (sometimes turned upside down, in a glare producing 2x2 or grossly overexposed) may not get quite as much attention as we should give.

Did they? Maybe they did. This photo was good enough to suggest it was a coin but don't ask me if it is real or anything too complicated.

Draft saved Draft deleted