Silver 3 cent jewelry find

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

My parents recently purchased a new house and upon moving in they found a small box containing a silver thrime strand. They passed it along to me so I snapped a few photos which are below. I'd love to know the best way to bring them back from the dead. I plan to clip the loops which are providing the rust. Is there a way to remove the rusty residue without harsh silver cleaners? I gave them a quick acetone bath but it didn't do much. Unfortunately, the holes are through the dates on most of them but there are a couple visible. I photoed a few of the better ones.
    Needless to say, an exciting find!!!
    IMG_20191211_201803.jpg IMG_20191211_202451.jpg IMG_20191211_202814.jpg IMG_20191211_202835.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Ouch! That pains me. And several looked like they were in very nice condition until the holes, that is.

I don't know, unfortunately they are toast. Others will chime in with their remedies. I kinda like it as is, as a conversation piece.

Collecting Nut and YoloBagels like this.
  4. Mark Metzger

It killed me to see the damage as well. I think these, especially the type 3 large star two lines, are some of the most beautiful US coins.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Yep, I agree.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The damage makes it hurt all over. You can do lots with them but even if they were professionally separated, cleaned and plugged they would still be damaged. What a shame.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  7. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Maybe take some pliers and see if you can get the clasps off without damaging/scratching the coin. It looks like they've formed rust and that is not good for the silver but can most likely be cleaned. If I were you I'd clean each piece with water and maybe rub gently with a cloth rag/towel, so long as they don't leave hairlines. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done about the holes, but the trimes really do have very appealing details.

p.s. Try looking around the house, maybe metal detecting the yard. If there is history like that in the house I bet there'd be something sticking around.

Kasia likes this.
  8. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think this is awesome. I have several items like this, and my advice is to clean it, and keep it for what it is: a very cool piece of numismatic jewelry from a bygone era.

9. Nathan401

I think we’re beyond “hairlines.” Clean away, I don’t think you can further damage the numismatic value of these coins.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  10. Mark Metzger

My thoughts exactly. The hay is in the barn as they say. I'll give them a dip and see what happens.

Kasia, Inspector43 and Nathan401 like this.
  11. Nathan401

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The holes are a heart breaker but some of these dates can be rare.
    You'll have to check them carefully 1 by 1.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

By all means clip the loops. Then, water soak, acetone soak, probably use a dip like eZest or even lemon juice to remove as much of the rust possible. Then consider taking them to a jeweler and having them re-strung with silver, or even 10K or so gold. It would look lovely.

Kasia likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Clip the loops. Dip them in coin dip and have a good professional jeweler use sterling loops to reconnect and you’d have an interesting and beautiful piece of jewelry. Their numismatic value is minimal but as a numismatic jewelry piece they’re very cool

Oldhoopster and Kasia like this.
  15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I'd leave them alone

nice set

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

those look like standard split rings, the same type split rings (though larger) type used for your car keys. I would go to a jeweler and get them cut off and replaced with silver alloy rings (non split type) so that you don't get continued rust all over the place.

Those holes also would not "plug" very cleanly. You can see a bunch of metal raised up around the holes, not flush at all. So I would keep it a bracelet.
    upload_2019-12-12_10-36-28.png upload_2019-12-12_10-36-58.png

or even use a few of them to make a nice Christmas ornament for the upcoming Secret Santa

edit:except for the rare ones as mentioned.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  17. Michael K

Again, some of the trimes are very rare, and even with the holes I would keep those set aside.

18. Mark Metzger

I went ahead and separated the coins from their "mountings". I first separated them into discernable dates and non-discernable dates. Then I separated the dated ones into the three star types.
    Results below:
    IMG_20191212_163018.jpg IMG_20191212_163001.jpg IMG_20191212_163110.jpg IMG_20191212_163133.jpg IMG_20191212_163345.jpg IMG_20191212_163310.jpg IMG_20191212_163453.jpg

Clawcoins likes this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The rust bothers me. Why I’d give them a quick dip. I think as jewelry they’re the most appealing as holed coins don’t appeal to me. I bought my wife a seated dime love token bracelet

20. Mark Metzger

I intend to give them a quick dip to remove the rust but my eZest has disappeared. I'll update images when it is found.

USS656 likes this.
  21. Michael K

Are all 3 types of trimes represented?

Draft saved Draft deleted