Silver 2006 Lincoln Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by twentyinrims, May 22, 2017.

1. twentyinrims

twentyinrims New Member

Let me start by saying sorry because this penny looks silver so thats how I am describing it. Anyway can anybody tell me about this penny? 20170522_230725.jpg 20170522_230703.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

It has been coated with something electroplated with chrome I'd say.

4. twentyinrims

twentyinrims New Member

Thanks. I don't know but it definitely looks really cool. I can't find anything out about this penny.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Agree with Eric, it looks chrome plated. We see tons of them here, just search silver penny above.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

People like to play with American CENT coins that we refer to as pennies. In Chem lab I had students make silver and gold pennies by coating them with zinc (silver) and then heating them to alloy it to gold (brass). This one looks chrome plated. Interesting but not worth very much. If you really want to check on it, weigh it and let us know what it weighs.

7. twentyinrims

twentyinrims New Member

OK thanks for the replies guy, I'll try to weigh it tomorrow and let you guys know.

8. gates

gates Member

I don't know much about those silver pennies , but,I have seen them around .I'm inclined to agree with everyone else . However it will be interesting to find out. Who knows it could be sliver I will be following you to stay posted.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, chromed, I'd say (almost certainly not "silver") - and really worth no more than a cent technically.

But hey, like you said, it does look cool. Some things ain't worth much monetarily, but they're fun. :)

Neal, gates and Kentucky like this.
  10. Bigalo

Bigalo New Member

I have one like it has anyone figured out anything on the silver penny

11. lordmarcovan

Got pictures? Yours could be one of several things. (Actual silver is not one of the possibilities. Silver color is different.)

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s probably played and only worth face but you need to start a new thread and post full sized photos of both sides. This thread is 6 years old.
    Welcome to CT.

13. lordmarcovan

He meant plated.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. Kentucky

C'mon, there are some 11-cent pieces out there...Redwin, Redwin, Redwin...

15. Kentucky

There is a high school chem experiment/project where pennies (cents actually) are plated with zinc. They can then be polished and look like silver, or be heated and given a brass plating - search Silver and Gold Pennies.

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

But only in a Chem lab with supervision. If your educational facility has liquid nitrogen gas, you can also chill the coin and then hit it with a hammer and get the coins pieces that often show up here as a "mint error" but use supervision and an experienced chemist or you may freeze instantly parts of your body you don't want
    to lose. Chemistry is FUN until it's not . Jim

Kentucky and Heavymetal like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

My spell check keeps changing plated to played. It’s driving me crazy and I don’t always catch it. Thanks

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Mine does the same.

19. Collecting Nut

It’s an epidemic.

20. lordmarcovan

My spell check also changes “gold” to “good” sometimes, but since gold IS good, it’s not entirely wrong there.

21. robec

robec Junior Member

Another possibility is it might be an unplated cent. They are occasionally found in circulation. If one is found early enough it could be in this condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted