Silk Road Series - Sogdian double drachm cash coincoin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Ikhshids of Samarkand: Urk-Wartramka.

675-696 AD. AE cash 6.44g. Ex Stephen Album. R.

Ikhshids were the price lyrics title held by the Iranian rulers of Soghdia. Their capital was based in modern day Samarkand. Although Urk-Wartramka cash coins were relatively common, ones weighing 6g and above are rare. This cash coin was minted prior to the Muslim conquest of Transoxania and featured a distinctive Tang Chinese influence but in Sogdian and a double Tamgha.

IMG_2932-1.jpg IMG_2934-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hmmm? ... well, if I drink enough wine and then squint a bit, I can make myself believe that those are snakes, or maybe even fishes on that coin (which makes it an animal-coin, which makes me give it a like)

curious? ... other than this baby, are there any actual cash-coins with animals on 'em?

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

Here you go.

Ming Dynasty. Chong Zhen, the last Ming Emperor (1628-44). Hartill 20.355. Single running horse mint mark

IMG_3124-1.jpg IMG_3125-1.jpg

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... running horse, eh? (what direction is it running?)

o_O

Loong Siew likes this.
  6. Loong Siew

Left. To the west.

stevex6 likes this.
  7. Loong Siew

Hartill's illustration

20150925_190342.jpg

stevex6, chrsmat71 and Orfew like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its very true that weight can be a critical factor in Sogdian coins. Problem is most people do not realize this, and its not obvious from pictures. I have double weight items like the snow leopard pieces, 3rd century Chach, and even a double weight obol imitating Antiochus. They are terribly rare but you might be the only one here who really recognizes that Goh.

Loong Siew likes this.
  9. Loong Siew

Thanks medoraman. Actually I didn't realize about the significance of the weight difference until I saw a posting from a very experienced and distinguished collector. Also Stephen Album rated it as R which indicated a degree of rarity. But I see your point regarding the lack of understanding regarding this field. To the viewer, they look the same..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That was awesome, Loong-S => thanks for the effort in showing me the running horse (now I kinda want one!!) ... well done, this is the closest I've been to buying one of these cash-coins (you rock!!)

... sadly, we just bought a new vehicle yesterday, followed by having to pay our annual house taxes today, so I won't be buying any coins for a while!! (*sigh*)

thanks again

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Ancientnoob and Loong Siew like this.
  11. Loong Siew

Hey stevex6. ..thanks a lot!! Please call me Goh..

If you do start collecting again, I'm sure you'll find a cool specimen soon.

If you like animal motifs of cash coins, I suggest you check out Japanese coins in your search in future. There is a series of coins called e-sen that often has interesting animal motifs such as foxes and oxen. They are however temple or non-commercial token although old nevertheless. Another cool piece is an Akita (秋田) coin that's shaped like a Tsuba (samurai sword guard) with motifs of 2 phoenixes. I unfortunately do not have any of these though :)

stevex6 likes this.
  12. Loong Siew

13. Loong Siew

Examples from Hartill's Early Japanese Coins..

20150926_083132.jpg

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Again, thanks again for the great effort (I like you, so far) ...

Ummm sure, I'll call you God ... *awkward*

Oh ... "Goh" => sure, no problem!!

:rolleyes:

Obviously, scoring one of these holed coins with an animal on it is now on my want list (yummy-yummy) ... I love your Ikeda examples (above) and I also thought this baby was pretty cool ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Ancientnoob and Loong Siew like this.
  15. Loong Siew

Geez.. Thanks stevex6. Your a swell guy yourself. Glad to have you as a friend.

You have great taste on the akita phoenixes. In fact the picture you attached is the scarcer of the 2 varieties (namely the long tailed phoenix). The reverse shows the Bagua, the ancient trigrams from the Ancient Chinese Book of Changes (I Ching). These are actually currencies compared to the e-sen and they are really cool pieces and motifs. Sadly even I don't even have one. But once I saved enough, these are also in my watch list.. :)

stevex6 likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ahahaha => sorry Goh, I thought that the foxes that you showed (above) were "Ikedas" (a dog breed)

[​IMG]

"akita phoenixes" are apparently something quite different!!

... man, I'm kinda like a baby-deer in the forest at times, eh?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    Loong Siew likes this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a pretty neat coin.

Loong Siew likes this.
  18. Loong Siew

Not at all stevex6. Foxes or kitsune were actually regarded as mystical creatures in Japanese lore. And you're not a baby deer in a forest.. the whole field of numismatics are too much to even cover sufficiently. . Even I am learning new things everyday..

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted