Signed Notes - Good Luck Paper Currency

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by paddyman98, Jan 8, 2018.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    I have lived in NYC all of my life. I always remember when I was younger, since the late 1970's, I was fascinated at looking at signed Paper Currency and how Bodega, Deli and fast food joints would post them at or near the cash registers for customers to see. I believe they were the first money they ever made or just a customer who was superstitious and gave the business owner the signed bill to display.
    My Question to you.. Is this something that is practiced in other cities or towns here in the US? Has anyone seen it in other countries?
    Here is a great example I saw recently when I was buying breakfast at a deli -
    20180107_093332.jpg
    Click to enlarge :watching:

Drawde and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I’ve seen something similar to this before....once in a bar and another time in a mom & pop restaurant.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I've never seen a display this large but a local bar that has long since been out of business had their first ten $1.00 bills set into the bar and then filled over with Lucite. He set them far enough apart so every patron could see one. The owner said he did it for good luck.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I have seen these displays in almost every tavern I have been in in Wisconsin. Including one in Appleton whose walls and ceiling were covered in dollar bills.

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

The walls and every surface available are covered with greenbacks in "The Purple Parrot" resteraunt in Rehoboth Beach, DE. AND the Prime Rib is Great!

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

I've seen them all over. Lynchburg, TN was the last place I was in that had them all over the restaurant. I left a Chinese 10 Yuan note that I had carried around after my wife and I signed it.

I've seen such displays in most 'tourist-y' cities and in several shops in non 'tourist-y' cities. Most of the ones I've seen just had un-signed banknotes, but there are some that had them signed by whoever left them there.

They're fun displays, and when I travel, I try to take a few extra world currencies to leave around just to throw in some spice. Although many times, I've seen a decent collection of world currencies under glass on the counters - Juneau, AK comes to mind... don't remember the store, but I remember the display!

If you're into coins, there are many silver dollar bars around too - The 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar in Haugan, MT is neat, and a great stop for kids (not the bar - but the cheap toys for sale in the shop). Also, the Silver Queen in Virginia City, NV is cool - last time I was there it needed some TLC - but I remember trying to count them all as a kid and it was something you wouldn't see anywhere else - though these days with the Internet, you can see it all in your living room!

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. lettow

lettow Senior Member

You used to see vendors in markets overseas displaying currency from all over the world, presumably from customers who spent the notes. I don't know if electronic paymemts have done that in.

I remember being in one of the suqs in Manama Bahrain in 1997 where a vendor had some UNC Rhodesia notes in his case along with grubby rands, dollars, pounds, marks, etc. I tried my best but he refused to sell any of them.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

10. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

There are displays like this here in NJ. Locally in the Bridgewater area there is one at a local Portuguese restaurant and another at a Chinese restaurant. They tend to be more prevalent at places that have take out service.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

See it a lot here in Arizona.
    But around these here parts they use $100.00 dollar bills.

Ha! Just joking.....

12. Jersey magic man

Funnny timing.... the Chinese restaurant I mentioned in my previous post changed hands and all the old notes are gone. The new owners have started their own new collection (only three so far).

13. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I see this in PA, but often limited to the first $1 the business collected.

Seeing the picture posted by @paddyman98 gave me an idea to make some extra cash. I’ll ask people to sign thier Notes and tape ‘em to my living room wall. :)

My wife would love that idea. Or not. :woot:

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. paddyman98

Have them use your pen.. With erasable ink ;)

George McClellan and DUNK 2 like this.
  15. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Even a better idea @paddyman98! I’ll credit that part of the idea to you when I talk to my wife. ;)

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Jersey magic man

IMG_0103.JPG Here is a multinational good luck money wall

midas1 and paddyman98 like this.
  17. paddyman98

Nice! There is a pizza shop near my job with foreign notes also but not as much -
    20171218_121130-1.jpg

18. paddyman98

Is the establishment owner from Portugal?

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nothing like that here. Most businesses do post the first dollar with their business license bug that's about it.

20. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Many restaurants and taverns have this in the St. Louis area. From my travels over all the US, I've seen this throughout. Do you catch yourself looking at the serial numbers and/or dates to see if someone posted a rare one?

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. paddyman98

Yes.. I sure do! Haha

Dynoking and dchjr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted