Siculo-Punic Horse Galloping Type Writeup -> little bit of my resent research

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Windchild, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

I can't find enough specimens...

I have ~70 or so currently, but will need a few hundred..

I'm going to delay until next year, so it looks much better (and gives me time to find more pieces)

I will have a 90% finished draft when I leave for the summer seminar, to research further at the ANA Library.

@JA
    I am in that range (the middle).

I almost always use a bibliography (I don't when I am writing from memory...I've gotten teachers mad about that [I wrote a paper on Tanks from WWI to WWII... from memory... everything was correct (the teacher even looked that up and was shocked)])

I always use a bibliography when I am using pictures [this is a study, so I have permission for some great pictures (a few better than mine and mine)]

I'm not the best writer, as I always go to the minute details, so this should be a good survey (as it is all about the minute details :D)

Thanks JA :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The important technique is to keep track of your research so that you don't have to look up all your sources when you've finished a paper. I had a friend who was working on his Phd thesis and had a collection of literally thousands of 3x5 cards with quotes from various sources. He felt that writing things out by hand made them stick in his memory better. On the back of each card was the citation.

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

No need for notecards now! I use this: http://www.mendeley.com/

Right click, generate bibliography. Done.

5. Windchild

I record it using PowerPoint...

Very easy to tell :D

6. Windchild

7. John Anthony

Back when I was in college, we used typewriters and notecards. And we LIKED it!

8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Very good for common formats and citing one reference at the time. When you get to do a thesis, you'll want something a bit more powerful.

9. Windchild

Great site to note then :D

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Dang, I never used a typewriter in college. We didn't all have computers and printers in our rooms, but some of us did. :)

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i did type up a few things my freshman year on an electric typewriter...man. i'm sure to some people that sounds as strange as writing my lab reports on clay tablets or something. ;)

12. John Anthony

It was a big deal when word processors came out. Oooooooooh! Star Trek stuff.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

We had a bunch of manual type-writers at our house ... one day my dad brought home an electric typewriter from his work-office => I thought the lightening-fast, spinning type-ball was absolutely amazing!!! (so cool!!)

Sidenote => here is an old typewriter that I keep as decoration in our study ... now that is fricken cool, eh?!!

IMG_2895.jpg IMG_2896.jpg

... man we're geeks sometimes, eh? (and lovin' it!!)

14. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Yes, very cool! I also love old rotary telephones.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

How about my kick-arse wine-rack!!? ...

yah thanks, I must admit that display always makes me happy and flashes-me-back to the good ol days!!

(*rats* => I guess I should have removed the speaker and the docking-port)

16. John Anthony

That's a beautiful display Jerry. Underwoods were the most popular brand among those old clackety typewriters. We had one when I was growing up and it's how I first learned to type.

17. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

My great grand pappy worked at The Royal Typewriter factory in Hartford. I remember seeing one in the library as a very small child, they had little sound proof rooms to work in. Through the years I have seen them in museums and on TV.
    Funny story -When I first came to work at my lab, we had to type the Hazardous Chemical shipping declaration on a type writer per FAA regulation, I needed training. Not on the document, but on the typewriter it's self, I remember asking, how come erase doesn't erase?
    i have worked on computers since 1st grade when my class got an Apple!

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's an great set-up stevex! i was at work last month in the front office at my school, and heard an electric typewritter clicking away in an office..i think she was printing lables or something.

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> me too!! ... that is an authentic antique that I had "re-done" so it will work with todays telephone system (super-cool authentic bell-ring => loud!! ... it always scares the crap outta my house-guests!!) ... good times!!

=> man, apparenty I love old, eh?!!

20. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_4145.jpg IMG_4008.jpg IMG_2668.jpg IMG_1640.jpg IMG_1060.jpg
    Loupe (circa 1904) British mail scale (circa 1900), antique aircraft instruments (circa 1930 - 1960)

21. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_0016.jpg IMG_8905.jpg IMG_9817.jpg IMG_8403.jpg IMG_7929.jpg
    Thai ceramonial pipe (circa 1860), Sperry Astro compass off a B-17 (circa 1940), Telegraph tappers and sounder (circa 1880) Glass axe from 1904 worlds fair, Dallas badge circa 1963

Draft saved Draft deleted