Sicily Octopus Coin. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Obone, Jul 14, 2018.

1. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

@Obone that’s a nice Greek bronze, with a funky octopus, good buy! Holding History is one of the few ebay dealers I trust, and one can often find Greek bronzes at a bargain.

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

In a recent CT thread this new eBay problem was discussed. When following eBay links to sold coins, some of us see the finished listing and some of us instead see something different-- eBay trying to direct us to a "similar" item that is still available. Adding to the confusion, the substituted item selected by eBay's algorithm may be different for different users, which seems to be the case here.

For instance, here's what I see when I click the link in the first post (partial screen shot). Clicking the word "listing: near the top of that page (in the sentence with blue background) did take me to the coin Obone purchased.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 8.20.24 AM.png

There are many good reasons to upload images instead of links. In the case of eBay there are at least two: the link might not show the intended coin and the link will eventually die.

I wonder how many dead image links I have in CoinTalk? At some point a few years ago my web host made a major change in how pages are named and images handled. It caused many of my posted images to become broken links.

I now usually upload images or, if previously uploaded to CT, post the CT link.

Another reminder for new members: it is best to show the image at full size within your post rather than thumbnails. Many people won't bother to click the thumbnails because it disrupts their browsing flow.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

True @TIF , another good reason for posting pics from e-bay is that it saves you from taking an immediate pic yourself if you are as lazy and untalented as I.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Now that I'm retired, I can easily identify with that.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do you feel that it is a fair use of a copyrighted image posted online when we download it and repost it with or without credit to to origin? I have preferred to post a link even to 'friendly' sites like CNG that has a history of supporting educational use of their materials rather than just using their image for whatever purpose I deem fit when supporting a CT answer. This is 99% a technical question because very few coin dealers are going to object to the use of an image by the person who bought that coin from which the image was made but the 1% who would will point out that their photo was a separate work of art and did not convey when you bought the model.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Lol

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hey, I like Octopi!

upload_2018-7-16_8-11-12.png
    SYRACUSE. Second Democracy, 466-405 BC
    Æ Tetras, 2.7g, 15mm; c.425 BC.
    Obv.: Head of Arethusa right, hair in korymbos, dolphin before and behind, ΣVPA before; all in linear circle.
    Rev.: Octopus and three pellets.
    Reference: SNG ANS 376, Calciati II.21.1, Bérend Pl.VI.11.
    ex: @John Anthony

Sicily Syracuse AE 12-10mm 1.4g Female Hd - Octopus BMC 249.JPG
    Syracuse, Sicily. c. 435-415 BCE
    AE Onkia 12-10 mm. 1.39 grams.
    female head right
    octopus
    Sear Greek ---, Morcom 677. BMC 249.
    ex: @Valentinian

9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I feel (possibly erroneously) that if i've purchased a coin, I should own the rights to the photos of my property. I'm not a photographer, so I will post the seller's image for the purposes of discussion.

Obone and Alegandron like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

::BUMP:: I still like OCTOPI @TIF !!! :D :D :D

upload_2018-12-24_16-51-42.png

Curtisimo, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Me too :D

[​IMG]
    Sicily, Syracuse. Dionyisos I, tetras. Nymph / octopus

[​IMG]
    Sicily, Syracuse. AE 13, c. 425 BCE. Nymph (Arethusa?)/hippocamp & octopus

Hey @Obone, if you ever get tired of that eBay octopus, please consider selling it to me :).

Curtisimo, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
  12. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Sweet Octopi. I’m watiching one now.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted