Sicily Octopus Coin. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Obone, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think you pasted the wrong link. It goes to an active auction and it's not an octopus.

4. Obone

Obone Well-Known Member

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Ohhhh, I got that new eBay thing where they tell me the item is not longer available and show me something else :(. I clicked the word "listing" and was able to see the coin you bought :)

Because the link and image will not work after a few months, I'm uploading the images here for you. And heck yeah, that's a fabulous little coin, especially for the price ($29)!

CT-Obone-Octopus.jpg
    SICILY, Syracuse
    440-430 BCE
    AE Onkia; 12 mm, 1.73 gm
    Obv: female head (Arethusa?) right
    Rev: octopus
    Ref: SNG ANS 383

Funky little octopus. Looks more like a squashed spider :D

I'd definitely have bought it for that price had I seen it. I have a larger denomination of Syracuse nymph/octopus and the smaller denomination is something I haven't seen often.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree with TIF. Nice octopus. I've been looking for one for some time, but just haven't pulled the trigger.
    th.jpg
    ....But then I'll probably shot my eye out!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Johndakerftw, ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  7. Beginner345

Beginner345 Active Member

I don't like buying from Europe. Too many fakes. I would avoid this one.

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The coin is fine. The seller (HoldingHistory) is reputable and the coin and seller are in the US. But I agree that in general, beginners should steer clear of eBay or should only buy from eBay sellers who have been recommended by more experienced collectors.

9. Beginner345

variana_museum is in Germany.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Perhaps so but Obone's coin was from eBay seller holding_history. The eBay link is not to the coin he bought. See post #4 in this thread :)

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Beginner345

I was referring to the first post- the OP. that's why I replied to that

Geesh, can't you read?

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

heck yah!!...O i see a troll .....here lemme swat'em for ya TIF...:)

TIF and Alegandron like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yes, I can read :D. The coin Obone refers to in the OP is the coin I showed in post #4. Notice the title of the thread, "Sicily Octopus Coin. Worth It?" The link in the first post shows some other coin.

EBay recently changed how they present sold items. In this case, even the Obone linked to the coin he bought, instead of showing that coin, the eBay link shows a different coin that is still available-- not the coin Obone bought.

Welcome to CoinTalk, Beginner345.

14. ominus1

haha, yeah, i was gonna tell'em not to post maps of treasures not owned yet because some viewers are potential pirates..:angelic:

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  15. ominus1

:rolleyes:..if you're gonna turn the other cheek, make sure you're turned 'round for that one :p

Alegandron and Caesar_Augustus like this.
  16. RomanGreekCoin3

RomanGreekCoin3 Active Member

Unterföhring, Germany? I wouldn't risk it, either. I bought 2 coins last month from Germany. Both turned out to be fake. Europe is messed up now. All those unemployed people coming up with scam after scam after scam there.

Bulgaria isnt even the worst anymore

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Again, Obone's coin-- the one he asked about in the first post-- is not the coin shown in the link he gave in that post. His coin is not from Germany. His coin is from a dealer in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The dealer's company name is Holding History. Again, see post #4 in this thread for additional information.

Nyatii, Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  18. ominus1

yeah, he's a legit dealer..i've got coins from him when he was still going to school back in the aught years(04,05 etc.)before he changed his name...

19. Beginner345

Not worth it. I wouldn't pay that much for that coin. I could get a decent Alexander the Great for less

20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's an opinion, and we all have one just like certain body orifices. The seller is legit and the price is fine according to my body orifice, er, I mean opinion.

Welcome here @Beginner345. I've learned over the years not to be so quick with my opinions based solely on an imaged posted.

TIF and Alegandron like this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am nothing but confused. By the time I came upon this thread, the first post showed a sale by a seller variana_museum at a price suspiciously low. Looking at other items in that seller's store, I see images that look like real coins at prices I would consider bargains. This is way too often the sign of a scam of some sort. Then I see our most respected poster vouching for the coin and later saying that the coin shown now and the coin shown before were different. IMO this situation makes it dangerous to post anything based on a link. If we are not all talking about the same coin, no good can come of the discussion. I know nothing about this seller and have not found the name in a fake seller list but remain hesitant due to the prices being too good to be true. I stopped buying from unknown European sellers a couple years ago after too many bad experiences but I know there are many of you that thrive on buying things and wondering if they will ever arrive.

If eBay has in fact made the change TIF described, they have made invalid all linking to any coin shown on their site. We all need to stop commenting on links but only posting photos we have taken ourselves to avoid confusion between coins and sellers. As it now stands, this thread strikes me as harmful to persons who come upon it as I did and see us vouching for coins we may have never intended. TIF may have explained the situation in later posts but by the time readers get to those clarifications, the damage could well have been done. I am seeing wisdom here in some of the rules over on Forvm that many here have considered excessive. If links are being substituted, how is that not bait and switch?

Draft saved Draft deleted