Sicily lot of 4 coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andres2, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Picked these Sicilians up on a local site for 32 euros.

Already had a better coin of an Akragas eagles on prey, but still a nice so-so coin:

P1140331bbbb.jpg

Pleased with this Hippocamp one, variety with a dolphin in front and back of Pallas:

P1170399xx.jpg

Coin from the Mamertines , Italian mercenaries hired by Agathocles of Syracuse , but when he died in 289 BC , the Mamertines were out of a job.
    By killing all the male inhabitants of the harbour city Messana (Messina)they took over the city and made a living from piracy and raiding the Sicilian country side.

King Hieron II of Syracuse didn't like that and put up an army to attack the Mamertines, they called in the Carthagians for help, who occupied the harbour of Messana with their warships.

The Marmatines didn't like that and now called for help from their Roman fellowman ,
    the Romans didn't like the Mamertines but they weren't happy with the Carthagian fleet so close to the Italian mainland.

This was the beginning of the first Punic war 264-241 BC between Rome and Carthago
    the Mamertines disappeared into oblivion , how sad, never mind.

P1180943b.jpg
    P1180973.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! That's what I call a fun Sicilian snack pack.

Volodya, Multatuli, GerardV and 2 others like this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

IMHO, you can't beat the variety for that price. I'm presently after a bit of 'quantity' over 'quality' myself----at the right price;)...but mine are early Roman Imperial.

Oh, I guess I should post my 'Mamertine example won at an Independent FAC auction:

Mamertini of messana bronze.JPG Mamertini of messana reverse.JPG

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

A nice set of coins. Any one of those would be 32 euros by itself on vcoins.

6. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great pick up. Those are some nice coins!

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOVE your Sicily's @Andres2 .

Actually, @John Anthony got me turned on to them, and I have been collecting AE's and fractionals... many times, they are harder to find.

upload_2017-7-26_7-57-4.png
    SICILY Syracuse Hieron II 274-216 BC Æ26 15.9g hd Hieron II L - ΙΕΡΟΝΩΣ Horseman galloping r holding spear HGC 2 1547 CNS II 193

upload_2017-7-26_7-55-54.png
    Syracuse Sicily Pyrrhus Epirus 278-276 BCE AE Litra 11.4g 23.3mm Herakles Nemaean Lion scalp - Athena Promachos thunderbolt shield SNG Cop 813, SNG ANS 852

Sicily Akragas AE Onkia 16mm 3.8g 425-406 BCE Eagle r fish fly - Crab conch SNG ANS 1062 var.JPG
    Sicily Akragas AE Onkia 16mm 3.8g 425-406 BCE Eagle r fish fly - Crab conch SNG ANS 1062 var

upload_2017-7-26_7-57-4.png
    SICILY Kentoripai Æ Hexas 16mm 3.0g 344-336 BCE Persephone r grain ear plow w bird two pellets Calciati III BMC Sicily 12ff

upload_2017-7-26_7-58-20.png

Roman Republic Anon AE 28mm 19-2g Quadrans - Sicily mint 214-212 BCE Hercules-boar headress - Bull - OBV-REV ex RBW Craw 72-7

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Volodya, Multatuli, Orfew and 8 others like this.
  11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Love your Sicilians too, Alegandron. Except for the last one (thumbnail) a Phyrros/ Athena ? I dont own any of your collection.

Here's my AE smallest and biggest siculo punic coin:

P1190147.JPG

P1190143.JPG

Volodya, Multatuli, Orfew and 8 others like this.
  12. Alegandron

FIXED. I have been having some probs with postings. WiFI interrupts, causing misplacements of files when I post. I set the proper photo on the second one, matching my truncated attribution (they are my file names. Yeah, LAZY). I have SEVERAL Sicily bronzes, and silvers

Multatuli likes this.
  13. Alok Verma

Alok Verma Explorer

Nice coins indeed.

Theodosius likes this.
  14. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

For once I get to post a coin that fits in with a theme! With only a few attributed coins, this is a treat for me.

Sicily, Kentoripai AE Hexas. Circa 344-336 BC. Obverse: Draped bust of Persephone right, grain ear in hair; stalk of grain behind. Reverse: Plough with a small bird standing on the share; two pellets to left, KENTWPIWN around. SNG ANS: 1324; CNS 7; Head p135. Size: 17mm, 2.37g. Numismatic Notes: VF and a nice example!

IMG_0057.JPG

Volodya, Ajax, Multatuli and 7 others like this.
  15. Alegandron

WOW @GerardV ... COIN BROS! Yours looks great! I have that one too!

I captured mine from @John Anthony ... and I even ripped the skin right off his hand for this picture!

upload_2017-9-13_7-8-12.png
    SICILY Kentoripai Æ Hexas 16mm 3.0g 344-336 BCE Persephone r grain ear plow w bird two pellets Calciati III BMC Sicily 12ff

Johndakerftw, Ajax, Mikey Zee and 3 others like this.
  16. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Heel goed, meneer! Not bad for four coins. Vier halen, een betalen!:happy:

Andres2 likes this.
  17. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

I picked mine up on VCoins and had to buy it due to an unfortunate nickname I picked up in college. My nickname meant my friends started calling my wife Persephone. Add in that her family came from Sicily and there wasn't much choice.

It HAD to be my second Ancient coin purchase!

Edited to add: She wasn't amused :)

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Really? Women! They are so hard to understand. Oops. Sorry to the females here on CT. I just couldn't help myself.

GerardV and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted