Sicily, land of some of the most artistic treasures of antiquity...and these coins as well/Newphotos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...man..i'm late for this party...:D
    i agree RC..nice coins Erin! :)
    ....but better late than never...i concur...ive always been impressed by the Sicilian moneyers .. have several from the Island but will just post a couple..:)....one or both(if i remember right, the one of the left....:p came with a Group of Sicilian coinage) for the of these were mint....ed by the Carthaginians (hey @Ryro you gotta stop buying Roman propaganda:rolleyes:) while there Cathiginain bronzes 001.JPG Cathiginain bronzes 002.JPG

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

SICILY

[​IMG]
    SYRACUSE 2nd Democr 466-405 BCE Æ Tetras 2.7g 15mm c.425 BCE Arethusa dolphins - Octopus 3 pellets SNG ANS 376 Calciati II.21.1

[​IMG]
    Sicily Akragas AE Onkia 16mm 3.8g 425-406 BCE Eagle r fish fly - Crab conch SNG ANS 1062 var

[​IMG]
    Sicily Syracuse AE Onkia 12-10mm 1.4g 425-415 BCE Arethusa - Octopus BMC 249

[​IMG]
    Sicily Kamarina AE 15mm 3.4g 420-405 BCE Athena Owl Lizard 3 dots Sear Gk 1063

[​IMG]
    SICILY Kamarina Æ Onkia 13mm 1.5g 420-405 BCE- Gorgon tongue - KAMA owl r lizard in claw pellet in ex SNG Münch 411

5. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Syracuse Ae 22 Minted during the reign of Hiketas 287-278 BC Obv Head of Zeus Hellanios laureate right Rv Eagle standing left wings spread HGC 1449 8.46 grms 22 mm Photo by W. Hansen syracuseae9.jpeg It is interesting that the die engravers needed to identify this image of Zeus with an inscription. Otherwise it is likely that without this identification and despite the placement of his familial bird the eagle, it would be likely that we would assume that what we are looking at is an image of Apollo. The need for a younger more vigorous version of the god coupled with his surname Hellanios suggests an effort by Hiketas to identify himself as the local champion of the Greeks against a non Greek foe.

6. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Beautiful obverse.

That is one of the youngest portrayals of Zeus that I have ever seen, not the heavily bearded patriarchal image that one normally encounters on Greek coinage.

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Beautiful example and very illuminating!
    Mine is green with envy for the detail:artist: on yours and lacks any inscription and came with the identification of Apollo. I assume mine is young Zeus then?
    Screenshot_20210407-171621_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    Sicily, Syracuse

Hiketas, circa 287-278 BC. 18 mm Laureate head of Apollo right, palladium in left field / Eagle standing left; star in left field. CNS II, n. 168; SNG

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Ryro, I have the same Hiketas coin as you , there is something written ? next to the eagle but I can't read it.

P1130393 (2).JPG

9. iain

iain New Member

I found a (rough) little coin stuck in the rocks at seaside Cefalu Sicily.
    I identified it on wild winds site as Hermes / Caduceus circa 250ish bc.
    It is marked Kef also so minted locally. I read that it is rare ( I understand not valuable) but wondered just how rare? What that means?
    Set me off looking and I found a few more coins but rougher still ! Inc a heiron / trident

10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Do you have pictures?

Draft saved Draft deleted