Siberian Copper

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by KSorbo, Oct 12, 2019.

1. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

49ED1877-278B-4A16-AD76-1A8D4EFE968C.jpeg 826E72FC-10D1-44F5-86AA-542F224E466C.jpeg C74BBF74-B3B3-4808-B535-AEBBD150F9C1.jpeg

I just got this in the mail a couple of days ago. At over 50 grams I’m pretty sure it’s the largest coin in my collection as well as the largest Russian coin minted for circulation. Also it is the only non standard sized slab that I own.

I like reading up on the history of the coins that I buy, and this 10 kopek Siberian issue is especially interesting. It was minted in the town of Suzun in the region of present day Novosibirsk, from copper mined in Kolyvan in the Altai region near present day Barnaul. It is larger than the standard 5 kopek copper imperial coins that are so commonly seen, but not twice as large. That is because Kolyvan copper was known to contain trace amounts of silver and gold and therefore the Siberian coins were minted to a lower weight standard.

Please post yours if you’ve got them! I’d also love to hear from @Siberian Man or any other members who might know more about these coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Very interesting coin in high grade. My congratulations. It is rather rare coin even in Siberia. And rather expensive.

KSorbo likes this.
  4. Siberian Man

5. Siberian Man

6. Siberian Man

Half kopek (denga).
    63.jpg 64.jpg

talerman, Seattlite86, Muzyck and 2 others like this.
  7. Siberian Man

8. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

It was actually a lot less expensive than I thought it would be. I’ve read that the dengi and polushki are hardest to find in higher grades. Is that indeed the case?

9. Siberian Man

We are looking for such coins in the ground with the help of metellodetectors. All of my coins were found in the ground.

Seattlite86 and KSorbo like this.
  10. Siberian Man

Find Siberian Coin - Great Luck

KSorbo likes this.
  11. Siberian Man

Once the city of Tomsk was located on the border between civilization and wild lands. Like Texas. We have a very rich history. And a lot of old coins in the ground.

gold standard db and KSorbo like this.
  12. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Yours look quite good after spending over 200 years in the ground. Also you can’t beat the price!

Siberian Man likes this.
  13. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Here is my 1781. NGC XF40BN

Rus1781KM03.jpg
    Rus1781KM04.jpg

talerman, Jaelus, Seattlite86 and 4 others like this.
  14. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Siberia 10 kopecks 1769 (3).jpg Siberia 10 kopecks 1777 (3).jpg 1769 and 1777. Bit of a coincidence as I've only just acquired these.

15. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Did the 1726 plate money circulate?

KSorbo likes this.
  16. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I just looked it up. That’s very interesting as I didn’t realize plate money was issued in Russia. I had only heard of the Swedish plates. It doesn’t seem like a convenient thing to carry around but I would think someone must have used it as money. So I guess my coin isn’t the largest unless we only consider traditionally shaped coins.

17. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

18. Siberian Man

KSorbo and Chris B like this.
  19. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

What does “PM” signify in Krause? Would these be patterns? Also note that there are no valuations listed.

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

"Plate Money"

KSorbo likes this.
  21. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

:
    :)

Draft saved Draft deleted