Shut in Suppers

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Hi All,

Thought it might be interesting to find out how people are using their supplies while under the social distancing rules.

Here was tonight's supper.

Homemade Chicken Souvlaki (boneless Chicken breast, oregano, olive oil fresh garlic) with home made Tzatziki (Fresh dill, Greek Yogurt, Cucumber, lemon juice Olive oil)

Side of Penne Rigate with Roasted garlic Olive oil and butter

(cut the top off of a head of Garlic, drizzle the top with Olive oil and add a pinch of pepper, wrap in foil and roast for one hour at 375. Squeeze the roasted Garlic cloves into a small pan, add a couple of tablespoons each of butter and olive oil and heat through. Stir this into the hot cooked pasta.)

Frozen mixed vegetables with a quick brown butter

As you see the secret is...butter

Please share your favourite shut in recipes.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Can I come to yours for dinner? I promise to maintain a proper social distance :)

Today was caramelized chicken burgers and steak fries. Nothing special but still tasty.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Wife baked a large loaf of beer bread this afternoon.. Our meal tonight consisted of warm bread with butter and some slices of cheese. Yum!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. Orfew

Excellent @Bing

all you need is a mug of honey mead

galba68 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I am such a lousy cook, that I could burn "Blackened Grouper". ~ Chris

Stevearino and galba68 like this.
  7. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Pannenkoeken (pancakes)! The little daugther love it, and so do i!
    Your dish sounds great @Orfew. Maybe in some years from now the kids will eat that too...

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya take a medium size 'chuck roast' and cut into 2" cubes. Place them at the bottom of a large slow cooker and add fresh vegetables (onion, green pepper,etc.). Add a can of some diced tomato along with some beef stock (Onion soup mix too, if you're so inclined), oregano and Italian seasoning, switch the contraption on to 'low' and let it cook for between 6 to eight hours. Upon completion, boil up a pound of penne and place in the bottom of large bowls. Ladle the meat and liquid over the pasta. Top the dish with some Romano or parmesan cheese. A bit of Cabernet sauvignon in a wine glass, some crusty French bread, and you're in comfort food heaven..........:)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. Orfew

I love using the slow cooker. They make great comfort food. Your recipe sounds great.

panzerman and green18 like this.
  10. green18

The best thing is that ya got dinner made ahead of time. You put it up in the morning and everything (except for the pasta) is ready for you when you get home in the late afternoon/early evening. :)

panzerman and Orfew like this.
  11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I had that too:)
    I make French pancake batter/ heat a skillet, add sunflower oil/ then pour in some batter. I then add 1 cup fresh raspberries/ some frozen red currants/ then put a lid on pan. I leave on low heat (don't want to burn pancake) for 10 minutes. When done I remove it onto large Dinner plate. I then sprinkle on sugar/ let cool/ in that time I get a second one going. These are size of a small pizza/ I usually make three for myself. I also make them with sour cherries/ blue plums (spliced)/ blueberries/ loganberries.
    John

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I made some Greek Orzo salad. The store was sold out of Orzo pasta, so I used mini shells instead.

This consists of:
    mini shells
    Manzanita, Kalamata and Queen olives
    cucumber
    roma tomato
    red and yellow bell pepper
    garbanzo beans
    feta cheese

sauce:
    olive oil
    red wine vinegar
    dijon mustard
    Italian seasoning
    black and red pepper
    thyme

It's good when hot, but even better when left in the fridge overnight. I can't wait for tomorrow :D

13. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

It's left overs tonight... Made a ham and green bean bake last night as a practice for my daughter's bday dinner in a couple weeks... It's her favorite.

14. Orfew

Very nice. I love a good pasta salad.

panzerman and hotwheelsearl like this.
  15. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Ha, I live with three picky eaters, so I get clean-up duty for the foreseeable future. Dinner tonight was Wednesday's spaghetti, Thursday's mac and cheese, Friday's rice and green beans (no chicken left) and a grapefruit that was too ripe for my wife's liking.

16. Orfew

Here is another for your slow cooker.

1. Take a 3-4 pound blade roast
    2. Add stock
    3. Add half a jar of hot horse radish (yes I meant half a jar)
    4. Cook till almost tender
    5. Add Veggies (Carrots, potatoes, etc)
    6. Finish cooking
    7. Serve with warm bread and your favourite beer

The secret here is the horse radish. It turns very mellow after several hours of cooking and makes a fantastic gravy.

17. green18

I gotta try that one. The horseradish element is most intriguing. :)

Stevearino, panzerman and Orfew like this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

What if you like very spicy horseradish? I can't seem to get enough of the sting.

19. Orfew

Then my friend you add some fresh horse radish to your plate. This way you get double the horse radish:wideyed:

Stevearino, galba68 and panzerman like this.
  20. green18

Flagellate...........

Stevearino and panzerman like this.
  21. Orfew

thejewk, galba68, panzerman and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted