Show Your Rarest Roman (according to the ERIC II tabel)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Apr 24, 2017.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

119- Diaduminian. I chose an Assarion of this Emperor. BMC 408. DiaRBMC 408 Assarion.jpg DiaR O Ant     SGI 3017.jpg
    I was astonished to see Theodosius II more rare than Clodius Albinos, Vabalathus and even Eudoxia.

Ryro, Multatuli, dlhill132 and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have 142 of the Roman Rulers, and my "Rarest" are:

A) Rarity List from @Valentinian :

135:
    upload_2017-4-25_18-44-56.png
    RI Paulina w Maximinus I D before CE 235 AE sestertius 30.77mm 19.66g 2nd emission of Maximinus I CE 236 Consecratio Peacock RIC IV 3

167:
    RI Verina w Leo I AE2 20mm 457-475 Victory inscribing CHI RHO - RIC X 656 R3 RARE.JPG
    RI Verina w Leo I AE2 20mm 457-475 Victory inscribing CHI RHO - RIC X 656 R3 RARE
    Ex: @Valentinian

B) From Eric II List from @Aethelred :

148:
    RI Verina w Leo I AE2 20mm 457-475 Victory inscribing CHI RHO - RIC X 656 R3 RARE.JPG
    RI Verina w Leo I AE2 20mm 457-475 Victory inscribing CHI RHO - RIC X 656 R3 RARE
    Ex: @Valentinian

151:
    upload_2017-4-25_18-44-56.png
    RI Paulina w Maximinus I D before CE 235 AE sestertius 30.77mm 19.66g 2nd emission of Maximinus I CE 236 Consecratio Peacock RIC IV 3

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My "rarest" on the older list is Pertinax (137), but that moves to 95 on the newer one (seems appropriate to me). Romulus is 144 on the newer list, and 136 on the older.

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 7.20.43 PM.png

Ryro, Multatuli, dlhill132 and 10 others like this.
  5. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

The ERIC rarity list only counts imperial coins, not provincial coins....but at Rome itself, I believe no coins were struck for Britannicus. So I am not quite sure how he made the ERIC list:confused:.

This coin was minted at the Greek colony of Smyrna.

Britannicus is #181 on the old list and #176 on the new list.
    Britannicus.png
    SGIC 516, Lindgren 562

Since this might not count, I offer this Didia Clara (#157 on the first list and #146 on the second list)
    Didia Clara.png

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

7. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug!:)

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

133 on the second list Magnia Urbica , I see a lot of these,

P1170218.JPG
    same goes for Drusus 127 on the list.

P1180259.JPG

But I Dont see a lot of Antonia coins, 117 on the list.

Antonia - Claudius.JPG

9. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

@dougsmit As promised I have read your excellent review of ERIC II. I now have a greater appreciation for what the author of the book did.

I am now more convinced than ever that with the lack of historical context, the unnecessarily complex numbering system and some of the other weaknesses, that I would never use it.

The one thing not mentioned in your review was the one thing I hoped you would expound upon, the list of emperor's by rarity. You said you have misgivings about the list, I think it would be interesting to know what those misgivings are. If you have said so elsewhere xnd I have missed it, I apologize.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    randygeki likes this.
  10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

@ Alex Sev.. Your coin reads Maxentius on obverse and not Pertinax or other.

11. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

That's because he is showing a Romulus, son of Maxentius. The coin names both.

Severus Alexander and 7Calbrey like this.
  12. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

Sorry for necroposting, but I do have a coin of Poppaea (Nero's wife), but I can't find her on any list. If anyone's interested, I'll post pictures.

13. Valentinian

Roman Collector and roman99 like this.
  14. Valentinian

It becomes less astonishing when you consider how the list was created. It looks at coins offered for sale with photos in printed catalogs and auctions by prominent firms. That means low-valued coins are not counted because they are not offered that way.

Most of the coins of Theodosius II that were counted were gold. There are many Theodosius II AE coins out there that are not offered by fine firms because they are not worth enough. They didn't get counted. For example, my own site has six Theodosius II AE and no Clodius Albinus coins right now. In the broader market, those numbers are more representative. Clodius Albinus coins are worth more so almost any Clodius Albinus had a chance of being sold at a prominent venue.

7Calbrey, roman99 and TIF like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Long before digital photography we had printed coin lists that illustrated the high end coins but only had text for common denarii and ignored late Roman bronzes which rarely made the lists at all unless they were some special type. The result was evidence that Pescennius Niger and Pertinax were more common than Septimius Severus ..... Constantius II ----- who is that???
    At least things are better now with paperless and filmless lists allowing cheap coins to exist at least in high grade.

Valentinian likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Trebonianus Gallus... ... 86 :oops:

Won in JA’s most recent auction. It is really a looker in hand. :)

98760FF2-EFDD-4CBF-8A15-0BB363F5918B.jpeg

Ryro, lordmarcovan, Multatuli and 8 others like this.
  17. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

#120 Johannes
    188-01.jpg
    #122 Vetranio
    151-02.jpg

Ryro, Multatuli, lordmarcovan and 3 others like this.
  18. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here's a Domitia - RIC 847 (Domitian):
    [​IMG]

She was #165, then #148 on the lists posted.

ATB,
    Aidan.

Sulla80, Ryro, Multatuli and 4 others like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think Pupienus at #129 on the list was as rare a ruler as I've achieved.

For years, I thought the pictures of it were lost, but then I remembered it was a Wildwinds plate coin (Example #1 on the RIC 22b page).

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. lordmarcovan

Otho at #121 was the second-scarcest ruler I've had, I think.

[​IMG]

21. lordmarcovan

Please do.

Draft saved Draft deleted