Show your Dukats

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Dec 13, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Transylvania
    AV Quarter Dukat 1765 N-B Nagybanya Mint
    HRE Franz I von Lothringen 1745-65 84aaa204dde8e787fc5edf618c8f6b65.jpg

Jaelus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

Another day/ another Dukat/ one of my favs....
    Transylvania
    AV Dukat 1606 C-V
    Klausenberg Mint
    Stephan Bocskai 1604-06 71af1f66028646126802f48955d5dac5.jpg

Jaelus likes this.
  4. panzerman

Two Sicilies
    AV 6 Ducati 1760
    Naples Mint
    Ferdinando IV 1759-1828 0a0f414dba0542e99f5a46918a9561e4.jpg

5. panzerman

Bayern
    AV Dukat 1850 München Mint
    Maximilian II 55306f969dbe9921626004789f88610d (1).jpg

6. Croatian Coin Collector

Croatian Coin Collector Supporter! Supporter

I don't have any. :(

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

Time to start! They are some of the most beautifull coins ever designed. They go from 1/32 too 105 Dukaten 375g.
    I have about 560 of them/ sadly cannot afford the bigger types:(
    Here is a 10 Zecchini (Dukaten)
    Papal States/ Bologna
    AV 10 Zecchini 1786
    Bologna Mint
    Pope Pius VI 1775-1800 IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG 3f1ceb349370ddd8bbbe8f6960096965 (4).jpg

ZoidMeister and charley like this.
  8. Croatian Coin Collector

Yes! The problem is that when I discover a ducat I like, I either can't find it in satisfactory condition (the Duchy of Milan one is an example of this) or it costs too much (the Augustus the Strong one is an example of this).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    panzerman likes this.
  9. panzerman

Mine are all in MS. You can get MS ones from Dutch Provinces 1600-1800s for under 1000US

The Sachsen 1630 types are not bad in MS 2-3K
    Venetian Zecchini are also reasonable.

10. Croatian Coin Collector

The Duchy of Milan ones? The only one I see for sale costs 2290 EUR and has a scratch, a dent and serious wear (or whatever it is that caused the damage) in certain places, so they can forget about me buying it.

I have a 6 stuivers Dutch gold coin from 1770, so I don't plan on buying anymore Dutch coins.

I don't like the design (and yes, they had the same design for 513 years!) of the Venetian ones, so even if they cost 400 EUR, I wouldn't buy them.

panzerman likes this.
  11. panzerman

Here s mine from Sachsen/Kürfurstentum

I got this one for 2400US in 2016. They are nice and reasonabled priced. 15cd1b5d6b52560057fb3f84bab2a396 (2).jpg

12. Croatian Coin Collector

They are okay, but I am not somebody who will spend thousands on "okay", I spend that kind of money only on coins I really like.

Anyway, today I discovered a numismatic shop in Lombardy and saw that they have the Duchy of Milan ducat I was looking for, but then I magnified the picture of the coin and saw that Filippo Visconti's cheek has a hole on it, and what is even worse, above it are the ugly red spots caused by copper. :(

panzerman likes this.
  13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

A ducat from old Venice:

[​IMG]
    Venice Ducat Doge Pasquale Cicogna 1585-1595
    Gold, 20 mm, 3.50 gm

Obverse: Left Saint Mark, standing and facing right with banner, right, the Doge kneeling
    S M VENET DVX PASC CICON
    ("Sacra Moneta Venetiae Dux Paschalis Ciconia" or "Sacred Money of Venice Duke Pasquale Cicogna")

Reverse: Christ standing with Book of Gospels, surrounded by 19 stars and oval
    SIT T XPE DAT QTV REGIS ISTE DVCAT
    ("Sit tibi, Christe, datus, quem tu regis, iste ducatus" or "To Thee, O'Christ, is Dedicated, Which Thou Rulest, this Duchy")

Venetian gold ducats circulated all over Europe during the middle ages. They were also known as zecchinos and sequins.

These coins were made of 99% gold but sometimes had small amounts of impurities. This coin has a corrosion spot due to exposed silver or copper on the surface.

The Republic of Venice was the city of commerce during the middle ages, and was ruled by an elected Doge (Duke) and a council.

Doge Pasquale became known for throwing out silver coins rather than gold coins during his coronation.

Pasquale's major achievement as Doge was converting the city's Rialto Bridge from wood to stone.

He died in 1595 and a year later an Englishman named William Shakespeare wrote a play "The Merchant of Venice" in which the duke was a minor character.

:)

panzerman likes this.
  14. Croatian Coin Collector

panzerman likes this.
  15. panzerman

I have that one from Terner Collection MS-64

I paid $1500US Goldberg auction.

I have over 400 AV Dukaten and fractions.

16. Croatian Coin Collector

I want to find one in better condition as well (the one in the link has an inspection mark and some other issues).

panzerman likes this.
  17. Croatian Coin Collector

panzerman likes this.
  18. panzerman

And its not great quality+ mounted in bezel! I paid in Zloty ($4100US) for this 1633 K-B AV Dukat Ferdinand II HRE 1619-37 in Polish auction 2015. Its perfect FDC
    In 2019 a MS ex. same year/ not as nice as mine/ sold for 24K euros in Slovak auction/ last year that same coin sold for 28K 9abd7c4941789df2c02b4a9a4f13febb.jpg

19. Croatian Coin Collector

20. panzerman

Lets hope that someone finds a large hoard of them. I would like one in my collection.

21. Croatian Coin Collector

Nobody will wind a large hoard of them, because they were minted in honour of Stjepan Tvrtko I being crowned King of Bosnia, and given out to the important dignitaries present at the coronation and sent to various ones across Europe that didn't attend the coronation, so if even one gets discovered somewhere in good condition, it would be a major stroke of luck.

I would like one in my collection as well, but that will never happen, the one I posted a link to was sold for 65000 DM in 1995 in Zagreb to a member of the Croatian diaspora who at the time lived in America, so you could expect it to go for at least 65000 EUR today, plus an added problem is that even if you had that kind of money available in your coin budget, you wouldn't be competing just against the individuals bidding, you would also be competing against the country of Bosnia and Herzegovina, which wants the coin.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted