show us your unusual coins.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by moneyer12, Sep 23, 2011.

1. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jetoncollector

jetoncollector New Member

Ok, but this about does it for my coin oddities -

This one was also purchased as a curiosity, and a conversation starter.

French jeton - l'homme sauvage, looks to be in the style of a mid to late 1400's issue --

France - (n.d.) l'homme sauvage.JPG

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

You do that too? Cool, I thought I was the only one. I have lots of coins I buy for myself, but find myself sometimes buying something just because I know non-collectors will view it as "really cool", even if personally to me its not that interesting. Examples would include Cleo VII coins, mark antony, some big thalers, etc. Not really my cup of tea, but when I show them a Ostrogothic or hepthalite coin I get yawns. I keep oddball US coins around for the same reason, like half cent and three cent pieces, as well as buffalos and IHC to give away.

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

This is correct. There was undoubtedly Celtic ring money. But it is not what you posted - that likely originated somewhere in Eastern Europe.

6. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

perhaps some people have their own agendas to disrupt and sabotage this thread i think it should be locked. all my knowledge and experience in collecting celtic coins has just been discredited by people who know less.......................

7. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

FFS the topic of celtic ring money has been proven beyond doubt by more knowing people than you or i. i just wish i had never posted the damn thing. ring money did exist end of bloody story it was used in britain and western europe before the advent of coins struck with dies and a hammer..............

8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Relax, friend! No one here has an agenda. We're just trying to promote the discussion of coins.

Can you cite anything by these experts? I've had to look into these a few times, and I haven't found any good, scholarly research done on them. So I suppose in that aspect the question remains open. On the other side, check out Ancient British Coinage page 202, where they discuss these to some degree (really, they focus on the gold-plated British ones). And have a read here, he makes a very compelling argument: http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/articles/celticrings/celticrings.htm

PS - many firms still sell these as money, so I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Non-collectors often think error coins are cool.

Attached Files:

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1891-1966 franklin mint 1 $ obv.jpg 1891-1966 franklin mint 1$ Rev.jpg 1891-1966 franklin mint  1$spec.jpg
    Found in flower bed.
    :thumb: 1792 obv.jpg 1792 rev.jpg
    The old copper I dug up in my back yard in Catskill NY about 55 year ago

11. Kman413

Kman413 New Member

I'm assuming that you have a metal detector. I was searching a church yard and right on top of the soil I found a large U.S. penney. 1807 I think.

I just like the outdoors and all the people I get to meet. I have recovered keys, rings and othe items lost on beaches and park. And returned them at no cost to the people who loss them. People who like to be out jogging early in the morning are always glad to see metal detectot peolpe walkng through the woods.

It's a great hobby and you will lose more weight and enjoy yourself to.

Thank you for answering my add. If you are ever in New York City I would be more then glad to takr you out and try it your self. I have six machines. Four for the land and two for the beach.

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

13. cfCoin

cfCoin New Member

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The man with the nose is of course, George III. I think he owned America before he gave it to George Washington (or something like that).

wyvern likes this.
  15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:Yup!!!!!!

Attached Files:

16. Gringo

Gringo New Member

Double Counter-marked 2 reales for use in cuba
    dcm1.jpg
    Coin on left is normal single mark -
    - Anyone ever see this before?

17. Gringo

Gringo New Member

18. Kman413

Kman413 New Member

If you go to YouTube.com In the search engine type Treasure Hunt America Ep.111 part 2 You will see the show that was taped on my donations and some of my great finds.
    Regards,
    Kman413

19. stain22

stain22 New Member

not sure what these are

ManHeadedBull2.jpg

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I don't have an ancient book to look it up for you. However, I believe it is a quite famous coin from Greek times (like almost 500 BC)! I think it is from the area of Sicily. I don't know if this is your coin or if it is real but it is a really famous ancient in my mind's eye.

You should look it up on the Web & post it here for the ancient guys to help you key it out.

21. luke420

luke420 Member

Mardi Gras Captain of the Krew token

Jupiter.jpg Juno.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted