show us your unusual coins.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by moneyer12, Sep 23, 2011.

1. jetoncollector

jetoncollector New Member

Ho boy, look what I started! Lol!

Something to remember - These coins/tokens/medals may have been minted under a certain king, but it's really the era that is so interesting to some. The people, their standard of living, the architecture and technology, all are important aspects of each era. I personally enjoy these subjects much more than just the king's follies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

In a similar vain things could have turned out very differently had Prince Albert Victor not given up the ghost in 1892, he was a well known for debauchery etc and was engaged to Mary of Teck. When he died of influenza the right of succession and his fiancee passed on to Prince George who would become King George V in 1910.

4. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

exactly my friend, the royals in general throughout the agesb are morally devoid, i am a devout republican (not the political party for our friends across the pond) and would love nothing better than to have a president we could elect every 4 years and impeach if they step out of line........

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's one, not a coin but a slave penny and it's a proof to boot. :yes: You see these alot on ebay but I've never seen one as nice as mine. :D

chrsmat71 likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

However we have a required IQ test for American presidents ;-)

7. PaulW

PaulW New Member

At first I thought the line at 10 o'clock is a die crack. Actually I don't think it is a traditional one. To be so large, a piece of a die had to break off, and coin had to be struck before it fell off to the side. Had to be the very last coin struck by this obverse die. Of course that is just my thinking. I am VERY open to you picking at my theory. I'm really interested on how this mint error could have happened.

[​IMG]

Derick, torontokuba and chrsmat71 like this.
  8. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Not particularly unusual, but I find these always create a great deal of interest. Counter-marked British Dollar coin from around the 1790s. At this time the British "Privateers" (One up from Pirates) were capturing Spanish and French ships crossing the Atlantic for the bullion on board. When this made it back to England, it was counter-stamped with George III's head to make it legal tender! There are variations in the form of the Counter-stamp, and of course in the host coin. This one - a Spanish 8 reales from the Mexico mint, is one of the commonest. By 1804 we started re-milling the whole coin - hence the 1804 Bank of England Dollar shown earlier in this thread.
    Countermarked Dollar.jpg

Derick, stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  9. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

correct paddy-but another way these got to England was by what was called the newfoundland trade.ships sailed from south England with settlers and supplies to new England then on to newfoundland to trade for salted fish.back to the catholic countries (no meat on Fridays )in the med. (spain )traded for oranges etc,made a profit that being in the form of these coins.came back to south England sold the fruit made more profit.that is how dorset got its wealth and health,massive increase in population at the time.

PaddyB likes this.
  10. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

A well-worn coin from the Isle of Man, featuring a triskelion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Derick, dwhiz, jester3681 and 2 others like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

this is porcelain....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is strange for multiple reasons..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so is this one....giant at 43.5 mm and 52.3 g, plus a neat "waffle" edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cool isle of man volante, i picked up one of those this weekend.

Derick, Eng, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

13. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

I guess this qualifies as unusual. It surprised me that a North Korean coin would have an English text. KP500Won1991ArmorShip.jpg

Eng and chrsmat71 like this.
  14. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

And here's a Pysa from the Sultan of Zanzibar. TZPysa1881.jpg

chrsmat71, dwhiz and stevex6 like this.
  15. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

Guernsey £5 coin in the shape of a poppy--90 years of the british legion---the flanders poppy being to symbol of the british legion,sold every year in the uk to raise funds for ex-serviceman-reverse shows the poppy being made

Attached Files:

chrsmat71 and stevex6 like this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Draft saved Draft deleted