Show Us Your Fakes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by yakpoo, Dec 28, 2020.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

No one likes to admit they got swindled, but it happens. In 2005, I bought a raw 1872-S Seated Liberty Dollar on eBay. I knew nothing about the series (first mistake), but decided to buy it anyway. It was a steal at $170!

Edit: Well, this is embarassing. I called this a fake because I mistakenly compared it's MM to the 1872-S Half Dollar, but I'm still suspicious. I would be interested what someone familiar with this series thinks about it...thanks!

1872-s Rev.jpg
    1872s-Obv.JPG

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    fretboard and Jack D. Young like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

My fake Morgans, I've made a post about these earlier.
    IMG-9072 (1).jpg
    2.jpg

yakpoo likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That 1887 looks really good.

5. hotwheelsearl

The only fake coin I (knowlingly) have is this really bad Licinius I
    Licinius I fake (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

yakpoo likes this.
  6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

How can you tell?

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I liked your post very much, but I didn't want to hijack it. Since it seemed like there were a lot of posts about counterfeits, I thought it would be interesting to see them together.

JayAg47 likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

9. hotwheelsearl

Good question! For one these coins were never made in full silver. They were basically silver plated with a thin outer wash. This coin exhibits a silver layer that is entirely too thick for a genuine article; any comparable coin with that level of wear would have lost all or most of its silvering

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is a contemporary counterfeit. It's actually worth more than a real 3 cent piece in this grade.
    Image_0186.JPG Image_0189.JPG

-jeffB, yakpoo, fretboard and 3 others like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't really understand this one. I always thought that it's a cast copy because of the pits and rough surfaces. Fast forward and some folks smarter than me believe it's actually a struck copy.
    panpac-o.jpg pacnpac-r.jpg

Attached Files:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

fake example
    And here is why your specimen is legit, look at your image of this specimen, notice the mm has been repunched. The repunch is clear, on the copy or
    the fake example. On your coin the mm is a repunched . fake_pan_pac_50c.gif

ldhair likes this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This is my fake 1916-D Merc. I have had it since the 1980's. I purchased the dime knowing the "D" was added to fill the hole in my book. My genuine 1916-D is in my safe deposit box. The perpetrator did a good job adding the mintmark except the placement is a bit too high. It appears they even carried the piece with their pocket change for a period of time to get the added mintmark to show wear. Quite a lot of effort was put into this phony.

20191028-DSCF6094.jpg 20191028-DSCF6097-2.jpg

Inspector43 and johnmilton like this.
  14. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

My counterfeit 1872-S half dollar (image courtesy NGC):

1872-s.jpg
    1872-s-obv.jpg

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I wonder what the mintage would be of how many dimes are in collectors homes right now with glued on MM!! :) Just sayin' it's gotta be one of the biggest fakes ever!! Glad to hear you were in the know, when you bought yours! :D

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I twisted my dealers arm. He had the dime forever and had shown it to me many times. One day I had collected enough cash to buy a 42/41 dime from him to plug that expensive hole. Told him I would buy the 42/41 if he threw in the bogus 1916-D so I could plug the empty 1916-D hole in my book. I must have caught him at a weak moment because he agreed to the deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted