Show us your circulated first strike coins Finds

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by usmc60, May 12, 2017.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Messed up on the other thread hope to correct it with this thread.
    If your coin hunter you have come across these coins.
    Though the mint may produced millions of circulated coins in their denominations.
    When it comes to first strike there are very few in a production run. Out of all the coins produced in a production run you have a very limited amount of first straight coins.
    These first strike coins will come in all circulated denominations, US
    like I said it to be the first minute of production from each press. In the first minute of production a press shoots out 750 coins.

Like I said in my other thread these coins stand out are not hard to see. So let's see what other members may have found in their coin search. Here's one of mine.As far as photographs are concerned this is the best I'm capable of doing with the equipment that I have. USMC60 ct5-112.jpg ct5-`11-3.jpg

charlietig and Nathan401 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I don't know if I'd call this coin a first strike, but it has all the characteristics to qualify as an early strike. usmc60 ct5-11-8.jpg ct5-11-9.jpg

charlietig likes this.
  4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I'm not sure what you're seeing it looking for with these - just a perfect die state?

5. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I think a perfect strike in the business strike coins is going to be a rarity to find.
    Think about it the first minute strike of coins, goes to the bottom of the retaining been.
    Think about all those dimes that go on top of them the first strikes are buried at the bottom of the been with 30,000 coins on top of them.
    I do not think they give a perfect grade for a coin that has been marks.
    I've been finding these kinds of coins for years. And basically not paying too much attention to them.
    I know there's a reason why I was always fascinated with these types of coins and it seems I'm not the only one First Strike A coin struck shortly after a new die is placed into service. First strike coins often are the most coveted by collectors, having sharper details and even sometimes proof-like qualities. o_O:happy::blackalien: USMC60 PS
    As far as what I see in them, if you'd change hunt and come across one of these coins in any denomination.
    You will see for yourself exactly what I see the difference is obvious.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  6. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I guess what I mean is, what about the coin makes it a first strike? I'm familiar with the First Strike designation used by PCGS, but that has to do more with when the coin is shipped from the mint then how fresh the dies are.

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You know I was surprised at first when I read that definition. For 18 years now I've always assumed that a first strike coin, where the coins that were first struck off the press. I personally like to call these cold strike. Heated planchet cold die. This only happens in business strikes for less than the first minute that the presses in production.

Then due to friction the die heats up with a little help from a hot planchet, as I mentioned in my other thread these cold strikes are going to have a totally different. Appearance.

And considering the millions of coins that are produced in a production run these kind of coins will fall under a very low percentage. But they are out there and I've been finding them for years. Not all the time here and their since there's such a low percentage of them. USMC60

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

No comment, a picture is worth a word or two. I'm not sure it was off center may have been the way I cropped the photo. Any way it's in my change bucket by now.

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Well anyway it's a real good photo. If it's in good a shape as it seems by the photo I would at least put it in a flap it looks like it's worth saving. Unless you have a couple hundred of them in the same shape. :):blackalien: PS I have a whole box of them that I haven't gone through yet. All 2017 p

dwhiz likes this.
  12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Try to show the beginning life of of die, by the first strike.
    Now let's go to the end of the life of a die. This one happens to be on the way out. ct5-13-8.jpg ct5-13-9.jpg ct5-13-10.jpg ct5-13-11.jpg ct5-13-12.jpg ct5-13-13.jpg And if you notice Washington on the overs has no lips and on the reverse not only does it have a nice sunset but it's also a doubled die. usmc60

Draft saved Draft deleted