Show Us Civilian Long Service Medals

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FredJB, Feb 11, 2015.

1. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

There was a time not too long ago when workers could expect to be with one employer for their entire career and long term employment was rewarded with impressive medals or a watch. Being a collector who retired after 31 years without any medals from my employer I started collecting these types on medals just to keep them out of the melting pots since most are made of gold and silver. Since this is a coin site I will start this thread with a bronze 15 year service medal from the Royal Canadian Mint. The massive bronze medal is 59.9mm in diameter and weighs in at 6 oz on a kitchen scale. I would guess that this worker left the mint on his 15th anniversary. Anyone know more about the RCM.

Attached Files:

Jwt708 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Not too inspired by that design? Trust me it does get better.
    Here is an impressive Addressograph-Multigraph 25 year service medal in bronze, 101.2mm in diameter made by Medallic Arts Company. I just love that detailed knight design.

Attached Files:

Jwt708 likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That one is impressive!

5. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Blackinton is one of the oldest private mints in the USA. They also make medals and high quality badges. The medal on the left is a 30 year medal and a 35 year medal is on the right. Both are 10k, named and dated. I blocked out the name to protect privacy. I bought both medals from a stamp and currency dealer!

Attached Files:

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

If you worked for the US Post Office in Chicago after 30 years you may get a nice gold colored aluminum wallet card like this. I don't know if this was standard or up to the local postmaster but it is a nice thought that goes with a good pension.

Attached Files:

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Insurance companies often issued some of the most interesting designs. The Continental Fire Insurance Company used their Continental Soldier trade mark design with the number of years served in raised numbers on a shield at the lower right. These medals exist in 10k and 14k gold. The highest number of years served that I have seen is 45 years. Most common is 25 years.

Attached Files:

8. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Similar to the Continental design, the first American Fire Insurance company used a standing American Indian Warrior design. I am not sure which design may have inspired the other but both are at the top of my favorites list.

Attached Files:

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Crane Company of Chicago made pipes and plumbing supplies. The also issued a fantastic 14 k gold medal for 25 years of service made by Tiffany featuring founder R.T. Crane's portrait. 30 and 35 year gold bars were added to the ribbon as needed. 40-50 Year bars are assumed to exist. The medals came in a nice presentation case.

Attached Files:

10. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Deluxe Corporation
    The Deluxe Corporation retirement medal is a bit unusual in that it is .999 silver and weighs 8 troy ounces of pure silver with a diameter of 77 mm! Why did they choose an 8 ounce weight for this massive paper weight? Most of us have written checks printed by the Deluxe Corp.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted