Show &Tell: First Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mgChevelle, Mar 12, 2009.

1. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

Hello Everyone. A little show & tell here.

Ever since I knew what a Morgan Dollar was, i wanted one. And I finally got one. It's an 1882-O in VF or so. I bought it from a good man, Borgovan. And I finally got pictures. Yay! comments welcome.

Now tell us about your first morgan and post a pic if you still have it.

-Mike

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

This was given to me by my mother several years ago. It belonged to my grandfather who was born in 1879. I still have it along with a few others in the same and better condition from his collection. I like to think he spent a few in his time. He imigrated from Sicily in the eary 1900's. Married my grandmother when he was 40 and she was 17. They had 12 children.

Attached Files:

4. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Good topic. I'll have to find my pics and get back to you.

And nice coins guys!

5. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

Sweet. That's quite the story. Nice coin and thanks for sharing!

Mike

6. PeaceJoeMorgan

PeaceJoeMorgan New Member

Not only my first Morgan, the first coin in my collection. I convinced my mom to buy it for me while at a local mall (that was hosting a coin show) for $6 in or around 1978.

It's book value is around $17, I wouldn't take $5000 for it.

Attached Files:

7. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

I'm not much of a Morgan buff. But I did see one that I thought was a point undergraded so i snagged it. Payed $40 for it, nothing special but it looks nice.

[​IMG]

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

It would make a great pocket peace!

Ruben

9. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

Here's my first one. No real story to it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Great photo!

11. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

When I was about 9, my dad gave me 2 proof sets from the year I was born, 1983. I started showing some interest in coins and asking questions, so then he gave me this 1899-O Morgan, which is the coin that got me hooked...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ice

ice Just happy to be here

I have quite a few but I have two that belonged to my first wife she passed away when my son was born one is scratched the other is just a common date and worn she had quite a few coins and I plan on giving them to my son. I didn't post any pictures but they are worth more than any morgan I will ever have. Tim

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

touching story...

14. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

here is the first one i bought and it was only a week ago

[​IMG]

15. the_man12

lol thanks. :D

16. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

:bigeyes: ooooooooooo shiny.

you know how there are coins that dont wear good. well Morgans look beautiful either way, dateless or ms-that^

17. the_man12

I'm not a huge fan of the obverse design. To me it looks like Liberty is about ready to explode. I love the reverse though. I only have two at the moment, but I am wanting to get more.

18. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

A little meditation fun, find your crustiest most beat up old coin and imagine the stories they could tell. Thats the feeling I get looking at my old Morgans.

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

20. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

If coins could choose, how many would leave the regimented life in our collections and return to the carefree life of jumping from pocket to pocket?

I know its a silly thought but the same reason I dont like slabs, too much like a wild bird locked forever in a cage.

Draft saved Draft deleted