Show selling tips

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clint, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Clint

Clint Member

Howdy--I'd like to try selling a few things at a show, and have never attended one...for coins. I have bought and sold at gun shows, so I'm used to seeing and slinging rifles--easy to tell who to talk to, and what they're selling. From what I've read on coin forums, there's a similar concern about security, negotiating, etc. I can also see how you would write a neat list of what you have, and show it to guys behind tables.

My main question is regarding how you would market to other people walking around. I'm not going to wear my slabs around my neck like Flava-Flav's big watch, obviously. And I assume you don't wear a sandwich board announcing your "haves and wants," while strolling the tables. So what's the norm? How do you let other pedestrians know you have XYZ for sale? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Some of the dealers may not be happy with you trying to flog your items to their customers. The dealers pay good money to rent space to show their wares and might take offence to someone who didn't pay anything except an entrance fee cutting into their business.

Selling to the dealers with tables may be okay (depending on the rules of the show).

4. Clint

Clint Member

Very interesting! So are non-table sales fairly uncommon at these shows...unless you strike up a conversation with someone sitting at the soda stand? I certainly don't want to offend guys paying for the tables.

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

If I paid $300 or more for my space and there were a bunch of guys walking around selling to my potential customers, I would have those guys out on their butts so fast!

If you want to sell maybe team up with someone who has a table or give them a cut for selling your coins on consignment.

This is just my opinion. See what the other's have to say.

6. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Go to a table, ask them if they buy X (x=whatever you want to sell). If not, ask them who does. They'll let ya know.

7. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

Doing some vest pocket dealing at a local coin sure is sure to irritate the dealers who actually paid for a table there.
    I don't do it, nor do I know anyone who does.
    It just doesn't seem like the correct thing to do.
    Better to join a local coin club and swap/sell at the monthly meeting.

8. Clint

Clint Member

Cool. Thanks much for setting me straight, so I can have a good 1st experience!

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can sell to the dealers with tables all day long and not 1 person will say a word - ever. That's what they want you to do. In fact if you walk up to table and just look around many of those dealers will ask you if you have anything to sell.

But try selling to people just walking around - that's a big no-no.

Where you're gonna get surprised is with what the dealers offer you for your coins. Most collectors always think of their coins as being worth $XXX dollars. Collectors think of value in retail numbers. Dealers think of value in wholesale numbers. And wholesale is what you will be offered. You have to go in being aware of that.

10. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

I have done deals with people attending coin shows. just strike up a conversation and do your business outside or exchange numbers and meet later. i know a couple of guys who go to the FUN show and buy/sell thousands of $ in the parking lot and never go inside. at my lcs i meet many people and we do business later. the owner says just don't do any deals in my store or right out front. you can't stop people from discussing coins with fellow collectors.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Draft saved Draft deleted