Show off some contemporary counterfeits

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by H8_modern, Oct 17, 2021.

1. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I hope this thread can maintain some participation. A lot more options here than the US forum.

I just picked this one up today so I haven’t looked into it too much. Came from a good dealer who got it from a fantastic dealer who passed recently so I trust the assessment as a contemporary counterfeit that saw some circulation. Love to see and hear about any others. If real, this would be a $4-5,000 coin.

Korea Kaeguk 502 (1893) 1 whan

upload_2021-10-17_18-20-35.jpeg

upload_2021-10-17_18-20-47.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Don't have any but @Jack D. Young and his Dark side collection would fit perfectly in this thread.

john65999 and Jack D. Young like this.
  4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Great Depression-era contemporary counterfeit coin!
    This forged florin on the right was made with aluminium/lead alloy (8 grams) as opposed to the real silver coin (11.30 g) on the left. Compare the crisp letters and details on the real one vs the flattened letters and coarse surface on the fake.
    fff.jpg

And an ancient forgery- a 'fourree' denarius of Domitian, made of copper core covered by a thin silver layer.
    fourree.png

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Well here are my 4 "counterfits" 2 are US 1 Hawiian and one Confederacy... The Confed cent being the only one I actualy paid for...
    1909 (3).jpg 1909r (3).jpg 20210711_235449 (2).jpg 20210711_235455 (2).jpg 20210908_202708 (2).jpg 20210908_202721 (2).jpg 1883hi.jpg 1883hir.jpg

john65999, john-charles and capthank like this.
  6. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

This one cost me a while back. Once I found out it was fake, I contacted the seller and they told me he was out of town. My messages were never answered after that and I was blocked from their e-bay account. Ebay did absolutely nothing because the purchase was over six months past. I was disappointed because the seller was "a top seller on e-bay". I'm a bit more careful these days.

Attached Files:

7. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Use Paypal!

8. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

9. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Love true contemporary counterfeits!

Two attributed by Kleeberg:

combo.jpg

1793 Contemporary Counterfeit 2 Reales. The “Liberace Head”.
    Kleeberg 93A-L6. Copper. Lima mintmark. (I understand this variety was given this name by John Kleeberg, who wrote the treatise on this series)- "Circulating counterfeits of the Americas", edited by John Kleeberg, COAC #14 from 1998.

combo.jpg

1801 "Beethoven Head" contemporary counterfeit 2 reales. Lima mint on a
    Mexico issue. Struck after 1804 according to Kleeberg.

10. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

How do you know if they are contemporary? I have this 1879 Mexican 8 reales that I know is fake, but I don't know if it's contemporary or modern day. I bought it when I was just getting started buying coins and had no idea what I was doing. The metal is very gray and the details are really bad. I don't know if it was intended to fool Mexicans in the 1880s or collectors today. I'm also concerned about what it might be made of. Knowing it is a fake I gave it to my kid to play with, but if it's lead then I don't want him having it obviously. 1879 mexico 8 reales.jpg

john65999 and capthank like this.
  11. yarm

yarm Junior Member

Old Spanish Trail, 1935.
    upload_2021-10-17_22-0-22.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    john65999 and Revello like this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

All found among other peoples collections I have purchased over the years.

upload_2021-10-18_8-25-0.jpeg

Revello, serafino, john65999 and 2 others like this.
  13. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

There's no real hard and fast rule, but generally, contemporary fakes will show signs of circulation (since that's most likely the reason they were made). They'll usually be made well enough that they don't raise too much suspicion at quick glance, but are obviously fake when given a close look. I would bet your 8R is contemporary.

john65999 and Hiddendragon like this.
  14. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

Since I'm a US Large Cent guy, my favorite "Contemporary Counterfeits" are the two shown below. Both bring *MUCH* more than originals of their date. 1818 2 Circular Wreath  F12  Gbg.jpg 1848 2 Small Date      AU55 PCGS.jpg

buckeye73, Revello, john65999 and 6 others like this.
  15. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

What were the indicators that the 1909-S Indian Head were fake? Were there little "blobs" that indicated they were cast? Lack of clear lines in the shield? Just curious.

16. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

17. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Just a note, many of the contemporaries were made to simulate wear with light strikes and weak details so they looked like wear from circulation!

There is a whole series of these and they are highly collected.

combo.jpg
    1837-50c.jpg

18. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

See the Gurney book on the Portrait types

19. CalGoldGuyDave

CalGoldGuyDave New Member

What made you think the Spanish Trail is counterfeit?

20. Mcpix

Mcpix Member

Picked up at a garage sale or swap meet in the 80's without a loop. Not a counterfeit but an intentional scam on collectors. IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0017.jpg IMG_0018.jpg

john65999 and Chris Winkler like this.
  21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Hiddendragon, asked: "How do you know if they are contemporary? I have this 1879 Mexican 8 reales that I know is fake, but I don't know if it's contemporary or modern day. I bought it when I was just getting started buying coins and had no idea what I was doing. The metal is very gray and the details are really bad. I don't know if it was intended to fool Mexicans in the 1880s or collectors today. I'm also concerned about what it might be made of. Knowing it is a fake I gave it to my kid to play with, but if it's lead then I don't want him having it obviously."

Long time experienced collectors can usually tell by the "look" of the coin, its composition and the way it was made. If the piece comes from a very old collection, this is helpful too. Yours looks contemporary and as such is probably worth much more to an "advanced" collector than a genuine. I've heard of these peices being bid to over $100.

Hiddendragon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted